14

The trip back down was even worse than climbing up. Us rushing to get down wasn't helping either.

My legs and hands were full of scratches and cuts but I couldn't think about it now. We need to save Kong. If we don't, the Skull crawlers will take over. Perhaps even try to get off the island.

That's a chaos that the world doesn't need at the moment. We ran back to the group when we saw they were pointing guns at us.

"Don't shoot." James said quickly.

Brooks sighed in relief and lowered his gun. It seems we weren't the only ones who saw and heard Kong. But this way at least we'll be quicker.

"Come on, man. Which way are we going?" He asked.

"You four need to get back to the boat. It's that way. Wait for us until dawn. If we're not back by then, just go." James retorted.

I frowned. What does he mean four? It's Brooks, San and Hank. Three, not four. I like a guy who doesn't know how to count apparently. Unless he plans on making Mason stay.

"Where are you going?" Hank questioned.

"We're going to save Kong." James retorted.

Hank smiled. Those were the words he was waiting to hear all night. If we save Kong, we save the world from Skull crawlers. Seems simple enough. All we have to do is stop Packard and his men.

"Not without me, pal." He retorted.

I turned around and stepped towards the direction of where Kong went. But James held my shoulders and looked at me with sad eyes. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"You're not going." He said.

I realised what he meant by four now. I shook my head in denial. There is no way I'm letting him go face Packard without me. He'll do something stupid trying to be the hero. I need to be there to remind him what he'll lose if he gets reckless.

"You have to go with them. Back to your sister." He told me.

"Not without you." I protested.

He held my head in his hands and I saw the tears forming in his eyes. The one man I've never wanted to see cry was on the verge of doing so. I am not leaving him, this is insane.

"It's the only way to keep you safe." He retorted.

My heart beat rapidly at his words. I could feel the tears running down my face. So much about my promise of not crying. He can't leave and expect me to stay here knowing he might not make it back.

"I already lost someone I cared about. I can't lose you too." I said desperately.

His lips connected with mine and I gripped his shoulders. I feared that it could be our last. He pulled away as Brooks held me back. I wanted to fight back, but found myself feeling unable to do so.

"I'm sorry." James told me.

He, Mason and Hank ran towards Packard and his men. My face twisted in agony as I watched him rush into his possible death. I wanted to scream and sob at the world for making him into such a hero.

"Come on, Lissa. We have to go." Brooks told me.

A sob escaped my lips as I turned to him and San. It hurt so much not knowing if he'll make it back to me. My feet carried me slowly in the direction they were going. I didn't want to go. My heart was screaming for me to turn back yet my feet followed Brooks and San.

We made it to the boat and I collapsed on a seat. I curled up in a ball and sobbed. The pain was too real. I felt a hand on my back. It was San trying to comfort me. But she couldn't.

I never imagined to care for James so deeply in such a small amount of time. Near death experiences bond people, I guess. I took shallow breaths trying to calm down. But nothing worked. I was gonna lose him just like I lost Danny.

The tears on my face dried off and I got up. My eyes searched the woods desperately for any sign of them. The sun was almost up. He said to leave at dawn. I bit my lip to stop a sob.

"They told us to leave at dawn." San commented.

"I know." Brooks said.

"It's dawn." San retorted.

"I know." Brooks stated.

"So what are we going to do?" San questioned.

I inhaled sharply and looked into the distance. Riley's face flashed in my head and I bit my lip until it bled. It physically hurt to say the words I was about to say.

"We set course for the refueling site. San, you keep an eye out for any sign of them signalling us. They should have at least one more flare. Brooks, you get us away from here yet close enough to see a signal if it gets to us." I ordered.

"Alright." Brooks said nonchalantly.

They did as I told them as I checked the boat's gun. We might need it today. I loaded it with bullets and took a pair of binoculars. I looked into the distance as the boat sailed.

"Come on, James." I mumbled.

It seemed like ages before San shouted.

"There." She pointed.

I looked up and saw the flare. It was him, he's alive and he's coming to us. A relieved sigh left my lips at that sign of hope.

"Brooks, get on the gun. San and I'll get us there." I exclaimed.

I moved the lever and navigated towards the flare. As soon as it came to sight, I noticed a huge Skull crawler above Kong. Kong seemed to be under some heavy chains and the crawler was about to snap his head.

"Brooks, now." I shouted.

He aimed his gun and fired at the crawler. It got his attention very quickly. San moved closer to the group. My eyes locked with James's and I sighed in relief. He and the rest of the soldiers ran towards the boat.

"Come on. Hurry!" I shouted.

Hank was the first to jump in. He and I helped soldiers get inside. Suddenly, Brooks's gun stopped firing. I noticed the Skull crawler turning to us.

"A little help here?" He exclaimed.

Hank took his place as I helped James up. He looked at me relieved and I slapped him. His expression shifted to one of shock. How could he just leave me standing there not knowing if he was coming back?

"You son of a bitch. I hate you. If you ever do that-"

He cut me off by planting his lips on mine. I wanted to protest saying that that didn't change anything. But I was too busy enjoying the feeling of his lips on mine. He pulled away and grinned.

"Happy to see you to." He stated breathlessly.

"Uh, hello?! We're getting attacked by a giant lizard here!" Hank exclaimed.

Just as he said that, Mason shot a flare into the crawler. It screamed as it tried to get the flare out. James jumped out of the boat and I looked at him as if he was crazy. Which he was.

"James!" I shouted.

He ran distracting the crawler and it chased after him. Thankfully, Kong was there. He threw a anchor attached to a chain at the crawler. It lodged itself into the crawler and I sighed in relief.

Kong tried to wrap the chain around the crawler's head but fell into the water. Kong grabbed the crawler and threw him into a mountain. The same one a certain photographer was at.

"Mason." I shouted.