07

Hank led us once again but this time towards the river.

"We were this close to getting it working. Me and Gunpei, we were gonna go on the open sea, try and get home when one of those things got him." He explained.

He then stopped and looked at it. I didn't know what to say at the state it was in. There was no way that pile of junk will get us across the river.

"There she is." He stated.

I expected some kind of boat or something. Yet what I saw disappointed me even more. It was something in between a boat and a small plane. And it wasn't in good shape It looked like a skeleton of it full of spare parts everywhere.

"Well, that's lovely." James mumbled.

I frowned looking at it. For a split second, I had allowed myself to hope. That was a giant mistake. All I have now is disappointment.

"Damn right." Hank retorted.

He didn't seem to pick up on the sarcasm. He entered the thing as I carefully stepped on it. I had a feeling it would sink if I put too much weight on it.

"Does this thing even float?" Slivko questioned.

"Me and Gunpei spent six years of our lives building this. She's called the Grey Fox and she floats." He retorted.

He then proceeded to explain how they made it. I am no mechanic so it all sounded like gibberish to me. I really wish I had paid any attention to my classes to understand what they were saying.

"You've got to be kidding me. This looks like it's made out of pure tetanus." Victor stated.

"I know she ain't pretty to look at but that's nothing a couple of extra hands can't fix. Unless you've got a better idea, I suggest we get cracking." Hank retorted.

"Alright." James stated.

They entered the boat as I walked away feeling nauseous. They think they can make something out of that junk? There goes James again giving false hope.

I took a deep breath and sat down near the water from where I could watch everything that happened at the Grey Fox yet nobody would disturb me. I pulled out my notebook and pencil. So much to write about, so little time. Considering I didn't have time, I just made pointers.

-Briefing meeting

-Helicopter ride

-Skull island arrival

-Dropping bombs

-Kong arrival

-Death of soldiers by Kong

-Separated by miles

-Giant buffalo

-Meeting Iwis and Hank

-Hank and Gunpei history

-History of Kong and Skull crawlers

-Grey Fox

I stopped and read through all of them. I can see why Randa wanted me to write a book. It'll make one hell of a story if we ever leave. But the question of 'why me' hasn't been answered.

My hand then started drawing Kong and a soldier. Only to compare sizes while the memory is still fresh. Nobody will believe it unless they see it. Though I'm sure Mason has more than enough photographs.

Then I switched to drawing the Iwis. Their clothes, the symbols on their skin and their village. This one was the easiest considering I could see them from where I stood. They have a very odd yet interesting culture.

My eyes drifted to the group fixing the boat and I hesitated before drawing them as well. Slivko was fixing the inside of the boat and discussing something with Hank. I drew his red bandana then hat.

I switched to Victor and realised he wasn't doing anything. Just sitting there chatting. My attention then came to James. I drew the most details on him.

The way his hair was styled back, that stupid blue t-shirt of his, the way the sun reflected his body. But then he looked at me. It felt as if his eyes were piercing mine.

My breath hitched at the intensity of our gaze. I could feel my heart fluttering. He looked away and I expected the feeling to go away. But it didn't.

"Hey, what you drawing?" I heard a voice say.

I looked up to see Mason joining me. A small smile on her lips. She seemed so carefree like she wasn't worried. I envied her for that. For having hope of a safe return.

"Just the group. I can add you if you'd like." I suggested.

She looked at the drawing. It was a rough sketch and it reminded me of my sister. She always complained I took all of the family's talent. I could draw and write yet all she could do was watch me.

"Nah, it's alright. Why are you suddenly pesimistic about us leaving the island?" She questioned.

I hesitated to reply. It was personal and I didn't want to admit it. Saying it out loud was like confirming it. I'm not like James. I can't always be brave for others nor myself.

"My brother, he... He went on a expedition and he didn't make it back. But he was always so certain he would." I explained.

Mason frowned feeling uncomfortable. I could tell by the way she shifted. I'm pretty sure she's regretting her decision to ask me anything. But since I'm already speaking, I might as well continue.

"Oh." She said.

I released a shaky breath. I need to get this off my chest before it overwhelms me. On this island, having distractions could and will kill you.

"He promised me and my sister, Riley, that he would come back home and we waited. Even after they claimed that he was dead. But he never did. Riley and I were such a mess. I can still remember how my heart shattered in my chest at the news because the feeling never went away. And now if I don't come back-"

I inhaled sharply as I felt tears in my eyes. This is not the time to be emotional. I had sworn not to cry when mentioning Danny to others. It was like a silent rule.

"You will. We will." Mason reassured me.

"If I don't come back, then Riley is gonna feel all of that pain again. Alone with broken promises." I stated.

My voice was filled with desperation. I sounded so weak yet I couldn't help it. I don't want to hurt my sister. I couldn't forgive myself if I did.

"Lissa, we'll make it, okay? We were recruited for a reason. James was. He'll get us off this island, I'm sure of it. But he can't do that if we doubt him." Mason explained.

I licked my dry lips and nodded. She was right. James got this job because he's capable of doing it. I can't let my fear influence him.