12

"Now look, Colonel. You may outrank me but I've been here a hell of a lot longer and I'm telling you. That thing that just shredded us was only the first of 'em. Now, we're on their turf and we need to turn back!" Hank exclaimed.

Mason was helping me stand. The explosion made me hit my head. I suspect a minor concussion but I'm no doctor. All I know is that my head hurts like hell and I'm barely walking.

"Not as long as Chapman is still out there." Packard retorted sternly.

"I'm sorry, Colonel Packard. Chapman is dead." James stated.

He raised Jack's tag. The one that the Skull crawler vomited out. I was right all along. Jack Chapman is dead and we shouldn't have gone here. Now Randa is dead and we will be too if we don't leave this place.

"Don't change a thing. We're still going to that crash site." Packard retorted.

I narrowed my eyes. The whole point of us being here was Jack. Literally nothing else. We need to get to the extraction site. Now more than ever. I won't stand here and let a deranged man dictate my life.

"What's at that crash site that you want so badly?" James questioned.

He sounded as if he expected this. He must know something that we don't. That's what intrigued me. What the hell would Packard want? His man is dead and we need to go back to the ship, to safety. This is not a debate.

"Weapons! Enough to kill it." Packard exclaimed.

So that was his intention all along. Jack was just an excuse for him to get his way. Once again, soldiers think with their guns and not their heads. We simply can't defeat Kong and why would we want to?

"Kong didn't kill Chapman." James protested.

From what Hank said, Kong is actually protecting the island. Jack is dead because we woke up the Skull crawler that killed him. This is our fault, not Kong's. He was just protecting his home.

"But he did kill these men. My men." Packard retorted.

He held up the tags of the fallen soldiers. Every person that was killed in the crash. This isn't justice, this is a vendetta. One that I want no part of. Kong isn't bad. If anyone is to blame, then it's us. We provoked him into this.

"You can't kill Kong, colonel. Kong is God on this island. He's the only thing keeping them lizard things in the ground." Hank explained desperately.

"He's right, Colonel. We can't kill Kong. That other creature? That's the threat. And there are more of them down there. If you take away a species' natural competition, they'll proliferate out of control." Brooks exclaimed.

Then there will be nothing at all to stop them from getting off the island and to our lives. The casualties would be too large to risk it. The world as we know might end if we kill Kong. It's not worth it.

"Then we'll end them too! After we bring this thing down!" Packard retorted.

He's acting like a mad man going after a war that doesn't exist. Kong is the one fighting and the only one that stands a chance. We don't even know how to kill these creatures.

Hank pulled out his sword pointing it at Packard. My eyes widened at his action. I didn't think of him as the reckless type. I guess he's just protecting Kong the way Kong protected him.

"Can't let you do that, Colonel." He stated.

The soldiers pointed their guns at Hank. Ready to back up their leader. It was understandable but dangerous. We need Hank to get out of here. There's way too many guns pointed at humans instead of the unknown.