11

"You smell that? That's death." Hank stated.

I couldn't agree more. The area we were in was covered in bones of all kinds of animals. I think we've also stumbled upon the grave of Kong's parents. Which only makes this more morbid.

"What the hell is this place?" Slivko asked.

"This is what's left of Kong's parents." Hank replied.

Skull crawlers did this. Just when I thought we had enough evidence of how dangerous this island truly is, this is what happens. If they have the power to take down these giant apes, then they can most definitely hurt us.

"I've taken enough photos of mass graves to recognise one." Mason commented.

"Still think this is a good idea?" I asked James.

He didn't even glance at me. There was a knot in my stomach because of that. Is he that angry that he can't even look at me? He misunderstood me and even if I didn't trust him, that would be normal. I met him a few days ago.

"Still don't trust me?" He asked me.

I glared at him. How can't he see that I do trust him? I trust him with my life. Why isn't that enough? I don't, however, trust in his decision. Mostly because it's guided by his own complicated reasons.

"The crash site is just on the other side of this alley. We'll cross through and make it to the highest point West." Packard stated.

"This place is a real no-no, sir." Hank said.

My body tensed at his words. If we should trust anybody, it should be Hank. The fact that this was were Kong's parents died influences us. If this is a painful memory for Kong, he won't be around here to help us. Which basically means we're screwed.

"We need to be going to the North side right now." Steve retorted quickly.

"And you're welcome to do that, my man. By yourself. I'm not leaving Jack out there. Now who's with me?" Packard questioned.

James glanced at me before looking away. That small moment relieved some of the tension in my body. The fact that he was near me, even when he was angry, was enough to comfort me a little bit.

"We can make it." He repeated my words.

"You're right we can make it. Now stay sharp, keep an eye out." Packard ordered.

I reluctantly followed them forwards feeling unprotected without a weapon. Slivko must've noticed my distress because he handed a machete to me. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"I already have a weapon." He reasoned.

I gave him a grateful smile and took it from him. James looked at the machete then me. This is the first time I've held any kind of weapon in my hands. It made me feel stronger.

"Do you know how to use that?" He questioned.

Two can play this game of being angry. He can't just do that. To not want anything to do with me and then act like he cares.

"Do you care?" I asked.

My voice was laced with bitterness. I walked ahead towards Mason. She looked up when she saw me. Her eyes flickered to James before settling on me.

"You and lover boy having problems?" She asked.

"I really don't wanna talk about it, Mason. Especially not here." I stated.

She hummed in agreement. If we make too much noise, we might attract the Skullcrawlers. That would make this day even worse than it already is. I just want to go back to my sister, back to Riley.