| five |

gif; kevin kiermaier, tampa bay rays (because who could forget the pigeon?)

St. Petersburg, Florida

first day of work...

I am so grateful that I didn't have to move to a different time zone, I thought the second I heard my alarm go off. Because waking up an hour or two behind usual would be a pain in the ass.

And it felt like a normal day too. My shift started at 7:30, like in Detroit. But I had to wake up earlier than usual this morning so I could get a feel for the St. Pete way of answering emergency calls.

When I sit up, Delilah was sitting in a chair, staring at me.

I'm not kidding. Staring. At. Me.

I jumped. "HOLY SHIT. WHAT THE HELL."

"Oh, did I scare you?" Delilah bubbled. "Sorry. I was just really excited."

"Why are you excited?" I rub my eyes.

"Because I finally have a roommate. My original person bailed on me."

"Oh...okay then." I slowly get up.

"You should get dressed quickly. I'll buy some Starbucks."

"Deal." I nod.

---

"Yeah, I'll take a grande decaf caramel macchiato with a extra espresso shot?"

I roll my eyes as Delilah ordered her extreme order.

"And...Dustin, what did you want again?"

"A grande java chip frappuchino." I sighed.

"Oh, alrighty then!" Delilah piped up.

I lay my head against the window. I was so done with today and today hadn't even started.

I look at the radio, which was playing that damn song by The Chainsmokers.

"So baby hold me closer-"

I immediately switch it to a sports radio source, which seemed to bother Delilah.

"I was listening to that?" She gave me a death stare.

"So? I'm listening to this now."

"Good morning Tampa-St. Pete, and welcome to this hour of Just Baseballin'. I'm Jordan Cooper, and sitting right alongside me is the one and only Millie Knope."

"Thanks, Jordan. This morning in the MLB..."

"Have it your way..." Delilah whispered to herself, "bitch."

Well, this wasn't the way I wanted to get adjusted to St. Pete.

"You must be Dustin Lyons." A man, presumely my new boss, came up to me and shook my hand firmly.

"Yes, sir." I nod firmly.

"I'm Roger Gibbons, your manager. I'm going to make sure that you adjust comfortably to our system. You were transferred from Michigan, right?

"Yes." I reply.

"Now, this system is a little different, as we answer for both the Tampa metropolitan area and St. Petersburg as well. The answering machine is bigger, as we can try to answer as much calls as possible."

"Do I have a partner?" I ask. And please don't tell me I have to work with Delilah!

"Yes, ma'am. Here he is now. Friedle, this is Dustin Lyons; she is going to be your new partner."