| seventeen |

toronto, ontario

|

Chris

"Arch, you've been off."

I jump, and see Marcus Stroman giving me a look.

"Off? What? Nah." I shook my head.

"You've been staring into nothingness since you came back to the hotel. I'm taking you out tonight."

"Stro, you know fine and well I don't do clubs."

"No, Arch. We're gonna act like respectable men and sit at a dinner table. And talk. You think we're boys?"

"No." I huff, standing up.

"Christopher, I know you. And this isn't you."

"Well, Marcus, you know me too well."

"Damn right I do."

---

"Who is she?" Marcus immediately blurted out as soon as we sat at a booth.

"What made you think it was a girl?" I glared at him.

"Wow." Marcus laughed. "You really are stupid, aren't you?"

"I don't think-"

"It's a girl." Marcus waved over a server, and asked for drinks.

I look out the window, which conveniently displayed downtown Toronto in its variety. I wondered what Dustin would think of it, if she and I were on better terms.

In fact, I wondered if she'd even want to come with me on this trip. I had bought a ticket, and was planning on taking her here as a celebration of her internship.

But after what happened, I canceled those plans. The only person who knew of my plan was Blake, and he used the ticket to invite his friend, Cole Freeman, to the Six.

Which led me back to Marcus.

"Tell me everything, Chris." Marcus demanded.

"It started with this girl. You may have seen her on TV. She was the one who slapped me during that game with Detroit."

"Oh yeah!" Marcus snapped his fingers. "That chick seemed like an OG savage."

"Yeah. Anyway, we just kinda found our way back to each other, and it clicked. Marcus, I loved her. So damn much."

"Loved her? Past tense?"

"Love her," I look away, "present tense."

"Good clarification." Marcus curtly nodded. "Carry on."

"Then she got blown off of an opportunity of a lifetime, and I had a bad game. One thing led to another, and...we had sex."

Marcus was laughing. "Chris...you won the jackpot! What'd you do to fuck it up?"

"I don't know." I shake my head. "We woke up the next morning, and she said it was a mistake. That was a week ago."

"You don't think it was a mistake." Marcus stated.

"No. I love her. And I've already lost her. I want her back."

"You know what I think?" Marcus took a sip of ginger ale, "I think if your destiny is real, then fate will bring you back. Just you wait and see."

Just you wait and see....

|
|
|

St. Petersburg, Florida

Dustin

The cursor is on top of "Book Flight."

I was planning on returning to Detroit tomorrow night. Why should I stay here when I could be at home, with my family?

I missed my family. I missed Michigan weather.

My phone rang as I was about to click on Book Flight, and I sigh as I slide the green call button.

"Hello?"

"Dustin, this is Kevin Cash, the Rays manager?"

"Yeah, I know. Look, I'm busy. Tell Chris he can save his shit." I then hung up, and threw the phone.

Upon the noise, Dalton strolled into the room.

"Dust, what the hell was that for?"

"Kevin Cash called me." I mumble. "I'm not having Chris's crap today."

"Cash called you?" Dalton questioned.

"Mm-hm." I nod.

"Dustin, the medical trainer position opened. I sent your résumé over to them."

"Why did you do that?" I growl.

Dalton sighed. "Dustin, I know about your plans to return to Michigan. And me and your brother aren't having it."

"Patrick?" I jump.

"No, I don't know who the fuck that is. I'm talking about Andrew."

"Patrick is my-wait! Andrew is my brother-in-law."

"Well, brother or not, I talked to him, Miss Special Snowflake." Dalton smirked nastily.

"How..."

"Dustin, you start Tuesday." Dalton winked.

"Son of a bitch." I place my head in my hands.

"And you're not avoiding Skinny and Strong either."

"Skinny And Strong?"

"That's what Flaco Fuerte means. Dammit, Dustin, didn't you take Spanish?"

"I took French." I mumble.

"Well, bonjour to you too."

"Dammit, Dalton, didn't you take French?" I mock.

"No, but I took Common Sense. And it tells me that Dustin Lyons and Chris Archer aren't done here yet."

"So, I'm not going anywhere?" I ask.

"Not under my watch, Miss Lyons." Dalton closed the door, and I retreat back to my laptop.

I canceled all plans to fly back to Michigan.

I wasn't done with my dream job, but one thing was up in the air:

I didn't know if I was done with my relationship.

a.n.

well here's a update for y'all! I should honestly be reading my summer reading book, or finishing my chemistry flash cards, but no ???

Just to let you know, Chapter 18 will also be the same format, with the chapter starting in Chris's point of view, and ending in Dustin's point of view.

Let me know what you thought of the chapter!

- Reasie