| nineteen |

Dustin

Tropicana Field

"Dustin, we need to talk."

Have you heard of the devil and the angel on your shoulder? Yep, that's where I was right now.

When Chris said that, one part of me yelled Yes! Dear God, yes. We need to talk. I miss you. So damn much. You're always on my mind, and I regret everything I ever did, while the other part argued No! You know EXACTLY why I left. I'm not the girl you want. Believe me when I say-

"Dustin? Why would you say that about yourself?" Chris stood up, and lightly placed his hand on my cheek.

Now, I didn't realize I had said that out loud, but when I did, I dissolved. My feelings have been so jumbled up that I was lost. Chris...Chris was the only one who felt how I felt, yet, I didn't realize that.

"Dustin, I never left. And I'll never leave."

"I'm surprised you don't hate me by now." I shake my head, and walk away.

Chris grabs my arm, and I am twisted around to meet him.

"Dustin Lyons, you're not walking away from me again."

Sighing, I hung my head down.

"Chris, I don't think you should date your athletic trainer." I laugh.

"I'd break all the rules for you my love." He smiled, and lifted my head up to face him. "Wish me luck, Dustin. It's bump day in the Bay."

"I'll be rooting you on. I don't have my Tigers stuff on this time."

"And you won't have it on any other time from now on." Chris chuckles, leaving the room."

I follow behind soon enough, and I notice with every step I took, I took it with pep.

"So, I should stretch like..." Dan Robertson stares at me, making sure his ass was in my face, "this."

I huff. "You're not winning with that move."

"Alright." Dan stood up, then did a long squat. "How about this? Call me Magic Daniel. That should've been my Player's Weekend name. Damn it-"

"Yeah, no." I shake my head, and as soon as Dan got up, I gave him a friendly whack to his back.

"Hey!" He put hands up. "Do I look like Archer to you?"

"Do I look like I don't know you're flirting with me?"  I mock. "Now, focus on your toe touches and quit giving me that look. The game's fitting to start."

"Bee-yatch." Daniel spat.

"Good luck tonight." I put on my best shit-eating grin as the intercom began every game's introduction.

"Today is September 30, 2017. Welcome to Tropicana Field. Now, ladies and gentlemen...I present your TAMPA BAY RAYS!"

I jog over to my place outside of the diamond, and applaud as all the guys are introduced.

"Play ball! Let's go, Rays!"

With the sound of Despacito blaring through the stadium, the game began.

All I could do was sit and hope that our guys didn't get hurt.

Chris's start was so far, so good. He had 2 outs, with one run allowed. Right now, he was going against Evan Gattis.

Gattis had swung twice, and missed. I was hoping Chris could get another out, so we could score another point later in the inning.

I watched intensively as Chris licked his lips, and got into position. I knew by his look, and the signal the catcher gave off, that he was preparing to throw a fastball.

After he was set, he threw his arm back, and bam! The ball fell out of control, and Gattis swung to miss.

My jaw drops, knowing that Chris didn't throw that poorly. He never did. My gaze goes to him as he clutched his arm- his throwing arm - in agonizing pain.

He is escorted by one of the umps, and I go over to assess him.

"My arm." He breathed heavily. "It hurts."

"Come with me, and let's check it." I take him over to the trainer's room, and I sit him on a mat.

"Can you straighten out that arm for me, please?" I ask.

Chris slowly straightened out the arm, a string of cuss words flying from his mouth.

"Yeah...mm-hm." I felt around, and carefully examined the arm. "I think you have a torn muscle. You need to get that checked out."

"No, I can't." Chris attempted to hop down, but with the injury, he hissed in pain. "I need to play."

"Chris. You need to get that checked out so you can play."

"Dustin, you don't get it." Chris snapped.

"Chris, you will only hurt yourself worse if you try to play again."

"Then that means I'll have to cancel the-SHIT, I said too much."

"Cancel what?" I raised an eyebrow to him.

Chris sighed. "Well, I guess it's easier to do this in person than some announcer doing this for you."

"What do you mean?" I step closer to him, and with his good hand, he takes my hand.

"Dustin, I'm four months overdue on this, and the first time didn't go as well. But I'd like to try again."

"The first time, we were drunk." I laugh.

"Not that. Dustin Rose Lyons, will you be my girlfriend?"

Laughing, I nodded.

"Yes, Chris, I'd love to."

"The choice is yours: slap me or kiss me." Chris said.

I did the latter, without no backlash behind it.

---

a.n.

they're backkkkk!!!!!

The epilogue will probably be out tonight, maybe tomorrow. But the end is near with these two :(

- Reasie