| thirteen pt. one |

St. Pete Call Center
11:34 A.M.

"No, thank you, sweet girl. I know your mommy is gonna be okay. Okay. Love you too. Buh-bye."

As soon as I hung up the call, I began to cry. As a 911 operator, you are used to a lot, but the call I just answered to really gutted me.

This young girl, I'll say about five years old, had called 911 asking if an "ampuwance" was going to get there. I asked what's wrong, and the little girl- her name was Emily Jean Nixon- told me her mommy wasn't breathing.

I helped this young girl throughout the whole ordeal, and she had been very good through it. My heart just ached for her, however, and I hoped that everything was going to be alright.

"Dust...you okay?" My co-worker, Adelie, asked.

"This little girl just called me. It was so heartfelt and scary for me." I wrap my arms around Adelie, who returns it back.

"Crazy, but I got a call from a little boy two hours ago." She adjusted her shirt. "Except he was calling 911 for apple juice."

I couldn't help but laugh as Adelie talked about this boy who called for apple juice.

"To kids, apparently, it's an emergency. Bad news, the parents are gonna have to pay a $200 fine."

"Yup." Dalton had strolled in, coffee and pound cake in hand. "If it ain't a real emergency, you gotta pay the due."

"You literally get that every day." I point to his food and drink.

"Hey, Java Jo'z will always have the best pound cake. Chocolate and vanilla swirl."

"With a hazelnut iced coffee." Adelie tipped over the cup in Dalton's hand, which sent the contents flying onto his shirt.

"Damnit, Adelie! The coffee was three bucks!"

» » »

Dalton was the type of guy who, if he suspected anything out of the ordinary, he'd be determined to find out.

He told me the afternoon of the Life Changing call about his plans.

“Dustin, I shouldn't even be telling you this.” Dalton yawned, extending his recliner. “I kinda wanted to keep this to myself.”

“Well, you've always wanted to know who Dustin Lyons was. Here's your ultimate chance.” I nod at him.

“She's a sneaky one.” Dalton cracked a smile. “Well, I've had my eye on Delilah for a while. She's always had this thing, I don't know, but it bugs me.”

“What thing, Dalt?”

“Ever since you came. She's plotting something, and I'm going to find out.” Dalton jerked the leg rest of the recliner down, and jumped up from his seat.

“I swear, I'm gonna find out. I'm gonna-” He began to pace back and forth, repeating the same phrase over and over again.

Whatever this was, it was fucking scaring me.

“Dalt, relax-”

A forceful hand found the fabric of my shirt, and I am pulled into an unfamiliar face.

It was the complete opposite of Chris’ soft, gentle kiss. Dalton had been a bit more forceful, like he had to get that out.

“Dalton?” I stare at my coworker.

“I...I need to leave. Now.”

---

cliffhanger, hAnGiNg FrOm A cLiFf

(if anyone gets the reference you had an amazing childhood)

Don't fret, there will be a chapter 13 pt. 2 so :))

- Reasie