Chapter 6: Multiple Reasons Why

I just entered my apartment after a long day at school. I set my coat down and decided to take a warm bath. It's freezing outside, and my body doesn't do too well with the cold. I turned on the faucets and relaxed into the tub. I honestly shouldn't be taking a bath, I have some homework to do before I go to work. I closed my eyes. This is my first year attending Celadon University, but I was a patient at the school's hospital for six months.

Beep beep! Beep beep! Beep beep!
I dried off my hands and picked up my phone from the floor. I received a text from Brendan.

"Hey Wally! I have the house to myself tonight, why don't you come over?"
"I have work tonight."
"When do you get off?"
"At nine."
"Stop by after your shift then! I miss you."
"I'll try to."

I sighed. I wish we could spend more time together. Maybe I could get Gold to cover my shift tonight, but last time he messed stuff up on purpose to get me in trouble with the boss. I have to go in I guess. Brendan and I rarely see each other for multiple reasons.

Well, the first reason is that I'm a college student studying to be a Pokémon Caretaker. I'm always busy with the amount of homework my professors assign me and I work at the Pokémart. Brendan is technically a doctor, but not entirely yet. He's doing an internship I guess, which means he's jam packed with his work. And the biggest problem in the way of seeing each other is that he's married.

It all started a few weeks ago, well, I should actually say months ago. I lived in Petalburg City. I fell very sick and was sent to the hospital in Celadon City since they're more advanced in medicine. Brendan was one of the doctors who helped treated me when I was ill. I fell for him the first week I was there. He was so nice and gentle, I couldn't help but love him. He has these ruby red eyes, which led me to start calling him Ruby every once in awhile. After four months of me being there, Brendan took me out to a coffee shop since I was feeling a lot better that day. We talked a lot about our personal lives that day, and it turns out that we have a lot in common. Brendan is also from the Hoenn region and also likes the Pokémon Ralts. He grew up in Littleroot Town and moved to Celadon for college. After he took me out for coffee, he kissed me unexpectedly. I felt a range of emotions when he did it, and I haven't been the same since. After the day, it was like my health skyrocketed and I felt like a million bucks. I was a little disappointed by it because that meant I would have to leave Brendan and return to Petalburg. I then realized that I could attend Celadon University to be with Brendan, so now I'm in school here. I was crushed a week after living here when Brendan told me that he was married. He married his childhood sweetheart when he was twenty three, and he's now twenty seven. Oh, that's another reason as well. I'm only eighteen. But anyways, he and May have been together for years. When I asked him why he went on dates with me despite him being married, he said that he doesn't have the feelings he has towards me for May. I'm still upset that we have to sneak around to be with each other for even just a little while. Like, him having the house to himself tonight is an extremely rare chance, so I should definitely go.

As I had just finished stocking the Pokémon food shelf, the clock chimed indicating that it's closing time.

"WOOO! About time!" Gold shouted as he walked to the back room.
"Yep." I said.
"So what are your plans for tonight?" He asked while rounding up his stuff from his locker.
"Oh, I'll be going to a friend's house, what about you?" I asked while putting on my coat.
"I have some business to take care of at the diner, have fun with your friend!" He yelled as he left the store. I definitely will he having fun tonight, even if it's just for a little while.

I took the bus to the east side of town to get to Brendan's house. He lives in a medium sized neighborhood with two bedroom houses. I got off at his house and knocked on the door.

"Wally! You're here!" Brendan said as he pulled me into a hug. He kissed me right after.
"Yep, I just got off work."
"Come in, I made dinner." He said as he took me by the hand. I've only been the Brendan's house maybe three times. May leaves once a month to attend a contest in some other region.
"It's nothing special, but I hope you like it." He said as he led me to the kitchen. He had made spaghetti and meatballs.
"It looks good."
"Here, let me help you take your coat off." Brendan said as he started tugging it off.
"Th-thanks." I felt my face blush. He placed my coat on the coat rack and made me a plate of spaghetti.
"Are you spending the night?" He asked as he sat down in the chair across from me.
"I uh, wasn't planning on it."
"I'd like it if you would." He said with a smile.
"I don't have any pajamas to change into."
"You don't have to wear any pajamas to go to sleep." He said as he drank his water. I felt my face turn red.
"Wh-what about tomorrow, I have class at ten."
"I can drive you home in the morning, it'll work out."
"I guess I'll stay then." I replied. Brendan smiled.

When I was done eating, Brendan and I went upstairs to watch a tv show that he likes. It's always strange laying in bed with him since this is where he and his wife sleep. While we were watching the tv show, Brendan scooted closer to me and started kissing me.

"Are you ever gonna get changed into your "pajamas?" He asked while rubbing my side.

Well, I know where this night is heading to.