Chapter 17: Cover Up

I froze, and so did Brendan. Brendan had a look of fear on his face. May wasn't supposed to be back yet, she must have lost her contest.

"Oh, uh hey May." Brendan said with a smile. What is he gonna do?!
"I've missed you so much!" She said while hugging Brendan and kissed him on the lips. I felt my eyes start to burn when I saw that, my heart shattered. Brendan glanced at me.
"So, what are you doing here so early? I thought you weren't gonna be back for another three days." He said while walking away from her.
"The contest was cancelled due to some tampering with the votes, it will continue on next week, so I came home early!" She exclaimed. Brendan told me that she was a coordinator and used her Skitty and Torchic in contests. I knew that she left once a month for about a week, but clearly Brendan wasn't expecting this.
"Brendan, who's your friend?" She asked while looking at me. I felt my face turn bright red.
"Oh, uh, this is Wally. He's wanting to become a doctor one day so he's shadowing me." He quickly made up. A doctor?
"So he has to shadow you at night?" She asked.
"Well, he has to see how I study and other doctor things and I only have time to do it at night." He said.
"Oh okay! And I guess the snacks are to eat while you're studying! That's so sweet of you Brendan!" She exclaimed.
"Hahaha yeah, come on Wally, let's go study!" He said while frantically pulling me into a room.

"I'm shadowing you?" I asked sarcastically.
"I didn't know what else to say! I made it up!" He explained.
"What are you gonna do about this? She's gonna expect me to be here a lot more often, and I don't think I'll be able to handle it." I explained with a frown.
"I know, don't worry, I'll think of something." He said while holding both of my hands.

I don't know what to think of this. I honestly don't understand this whole situation. How did I let myself get into this love triangle? He won't leave May because he doesn't want to hurt her, but it still makes no sense if she finds out about us she will be heartbroken. She clearly loves him, I could see it by the way she acted around him.
Plus, I'll be heartbroken knowing that they're together. It honestly has been stressing me out a lot lately. I'm terrified that something will happen and I won't be able to see Brendan again.

"We can be together in this room, she won't disturb our "studying." He said.
"What are we gonna do then? She might be able to hear us talk." I added.
"I, I don't know. I honestly have no idea what to do. I'm really sorry." He said with a frown.
"Well, I should get going. I'll let you think." I said while walking towards the door.
"Wally wait, we should think of something together. I don't know when I'll get to see you next time." He said. He looks truly sad, I don't think I've ever seen him like this.
"Are you ever gonna tell May about, us?" I asked.
"I..I can't. It will crush her. I care too much about her." He said. I felt my heart shatter.
"So you still want to be married to her?"
"I don't, but I want to keep a good relationship with her, she was my best friend growing up." He explained, he was holding my hands now.
"We can't keep doing this, this was a close call."
"I know, maybe I can stay at your place often? Pretend to be studying there? And say we got so tired we fell asleep?" He suggested. I guess it could work. I wouldn't mind Brendan being over more.
"Wouldn't May find that suspicious?" I asked.
"No, I sleep at the hospital all the time due to me working so late."
"Then how would you see me?" I asked. Brendan paused.
"Well, I just won't go home to her. I'll go to you instead." He said. I felt my heart beat pick up. He must really care about me.
"You'd do that?"
"Of course I would, I would do anything for you." He said. He kissed me on the forehead.
"I love you Brendan."
"I love you too."

I left Brendan's house at around eleven from "studying." He offered to drive me home, but I declined because it would be too suspicious. It's kind of thrill seeking knowing that we have to sneak around to be with each other, it's like it's our dirty little secret. It also feels horrible though. We're doing a bad thing to an unsuspecting person who will be crushed. It's crushing me as well, knowing that they share the same bed, and that they "love" each other. But Brendan won't leave her, so I can't do anything about it.

I got on the city bus to head back to my apartment. It was snowing really hard now. The sky was pitch black with a few stars speckling it. I'm not too keen to the snow. Hoenn doesn't have any snow, but we do have a volcano. I'm pretty sure that the ash from that volcano was causing my respiratory system to fail. I've gotten better by staying here, but the cold air gets to me every once in awhile. I miss Hoenn a lot. We used to go to beach a lot before I fell ill. I know that Kanto has a ton of beaches, but with school I haven't been able to visit them. Hoenn has so much water that it was unheard of to not go to any beaches there.

I got to my apartment and opened the door. I walked into the living room to see that the book I was reading was still on the coffee table where I had left it to answer the door. I am looking forward to reading it, but now that Brendan will be coming over often to visit me, I might not be able to finish quickly. I got changed into my pajamas and crawled into bed. I really hope that Brendan figures things out.