Chapter Twelve

His Royal Mate-

Chapter Twelve

~~~

Alex rose from his seat gently, attempting to sneak a glance at Everette without him noticing. As Alex shifted his eyes he made eye contact with Everette, he smiled softly.

The atmosphere was awkward as the two of them attempted to walk side by side towards the kitchen. Alex felt Everett's hand gently brush against his, he quickly pulled it back, unsure of how he felt about the contact.

On one hand Alex wanted to welcome it, the graze felt comforting, something he wasn't used to, however he'd been raised to hate anything and everything supernatural.

The two entered the kitchen, Alex watched from the corner of his eye as Everette took a seat at the head of the table without saying a word. He guessed Everette must be used to being the centre of attention, the dominant male. Alex took the seat next to him whilst Kiera placed a steaming bowl of potato soup. Alex watched as Everette's nose screwed up in distaste, evidently he wasn't used to the treatment.

The atmosphere was cold, silent and unwelcoming, Alex slid further down into his chair, desperately wanting someone to break the ice.

"So what do you do?" Everette finally spoke as Kiera started portioning the soup out into two bowls. Alex cringed, that wasn't the question to ask.

"I'm in the human population programme, keeping the population up and booming." Keira said through gritted teeth, Alex knew she hated it, hated the predicament and hated how she had no power to change her fate.

Everette became visibly more uncomfortable as Keira spoke, he took the bowl of rancid water out of her hands surprisingly timidly, peering down into the murky soup with a foul glare.

"Ah I see well, you know what they say, the more humans there are, the less the workload."

Alex had never heard the saying- he was pretty sure Everette made it up in a desperate attempt to lighten the mood, it hadn't worked. Kiera stared at Everette in disbelief, before pretending she hadn't heard his statement.

Alex took his bowl off Kiera gratefully, he hadn't really eaten that day so he was ready to scoff down the soup, Alex could see Everette watching his eagerness with pity.

~~~

Everette hardly touched his soup, after taking one mouthful he knew he had to get him and Alex out of the hell hole as soon as possible.

"It's been a lovely dinner Kiera, but I'm afraid I'm quite full," His eyes glanced over at Alex, whose eyes we're closing and growing heavier by the second, he looked like a little child who'd begged to stay up past their bed time "Besides I think Alex needs to get off to bed."

"I think you're right, Alex go upstairs, I'll show Everette to the door." Kiera announced.

Everette felt a slight rage build inside of him but he swallowed it down, looking at Alex, he knew he couldn't bring himself to leave the boy again for even a second.

"Actually I think I'll stay here tonight if you don't mind."

~~~

Everette thought the downstairs of the house had been bad, but nothing could've prepared him for he upstairs.

Mould on all walls.

Insect eaten furniture.

Age worn floorboards.

But worst of all, the communal children's bedroom. Everette had been expecting a romantic night with his mate; full of kisses, cuddling and whispering sweet nothings to each other. He hadn't expected to enter the dark bedroom, only to be treated by a dozen little children rolling over in their beds to stare at the stranger.