➸ 18. Madness

What is something that you wouldn't be able to live with yourself for doing?

***

Julien POV

Walking past all these mindless idiots with smiles on their faces, so unaware of the horrors that go on in the real world while they are stuck in their happy little bubble; it makes me sick.

All they are worried about is getting to class, making good grades, dating the most popular boy or girl, who is screwing who; it's all maddening. I don't know how I was ever in the A-listers and I don't know how I was ever okay with it.

School hasn't changed, but I have. I knew the horrors out there that none of these people walking past me in the halls had any idea about, like human trafficking. I knew what it was like to have things taken away too – people you love.

I didn't want to get close to anyone. My past put me off on ever making new friends or having a girlfriend. I didn't want that. I don't need those kinds of relationships in my life. I just need associates; people to hang out with when times get tough and lonely.

Liam was starting to get a little closer than what I had originally anticipated and I had been thinking that maybe it's time to set up boundaries. I didn't want to be pulled back into the friendship circle. I still have a motive while I'm here and it's not to make nice with all my old friends. But out of everyone, Liam was the realest of the real – even though he hid from the world in some way or another.

"Hey, Julien. What's up man?" Trevor caught up to me, slapping me on the shoulder with a grin.

He hadn't changed a bit. He still had that baby face that refused to grow any facial hair, dimples, and silver-gray eyes that all the girls loved.

I side glanced my old friend, who oddly enough, was dating Tessa now. They didn't deal with titles, but it was public knowledge. Everything has gotten weird around here, the balance has shifted.

"Not much. Tyler around?" I didn't bother plastering on a fake grin and making useless small talk. I wanted to get right to the point. I hadn't seen Tyler all day and I was expecting him to react somehow someway.

Trevor seemed hesitant as we neared my locker and I stopped, leaning up against it while looking down at him, straight in the eyes. They widened slightly before he regained his composure. I could sense a nervousness about him.

"Yeah, about that." An uncomfortable laugh escaped him as he ran a hand through his dark brown hair. "He's just showed up in time for practice, he was absent all day. He's pretty pissed about you stepping to him yesterday for no reason, so If I were you, I'd just go talk to him man. You know how he can be.." He seemed uncomfortable telling me this.

Trevor always hated being caught in the crossfire. He would rather be a Casanova all day and flirt with the ladies than fight or start a fight – but it seemed his Casanova days were over with since Tessa filled the place by his side...... or did she?

Narrowing my eyes on him, I stepped in close, my three extra inches in height noticeable next to his six foot frame.

"I don't gotta do nothin. I'm not afraid of him. He can bring it on for all I care. Tell him to come get some if he wants some. You know where I'll be. Tell him if he's really feeling froggy to come on over. School already ended and I'll be home in about fifteen minutes." I bit out through gritted teeth.

Trevor was always Tyler's right hand man, his trusted side kick. Trevor and I went way back, we used to be friends when I was going to school here the first time and he would split his time between Tyler and me because back then, Tyler despised me. Trevor had claimed it was because I had everything he wanted but honestly all that consisted of was people's respect.