Chapter 7

"Rise and shine!" 

Mary cringed as joker pulled the shades open in her room. "I don't want to go to school!"

Joker started to jump on the other side of her bed. "Wake up.. Wake up" as he was in mid air, Mary pushed him off and he landed on the floor with a thud. 

She peaked over and smiled, "You ok?" 

Mary strolled into the kitchen wearing sunglasses; she moaned as she sat down at the bar stool. Joker turned around as he whistled. "Coffee..?"

"Please." Mary cringed at his whistling. "Please stop, my head is killing me." Mary laid her head down on the counter. Joker smirked as he picked up two pots and banged them together. Mary jumped and fell of of her stool. She glared at him as he leaned down to her eye level. He chuckled and walked away as Mary sat in a daze. She could  hear his shoes click against the marble floor as he left the kitchen. "Prick."

As Mary walked back to her room, she could hear him in his office. "Nine pm, and don't tell anybody Frost." 

Mary knew he was talking about Oswalds Gala tonight. It would be there only chance to get close enough to the statue. Mary laid on her bed as she looked at her lap top. She saw the news story on the event, it threw her back into another flashback.

"Are you sure you want to donate all of this?" Oswald stood behind Mary and placed his hand on her shoulder. 

"Most of it was stolen over the years from other collectors. I'm trying to clear my conscience." Mary watched him from her desk as he limped out if the office. She heard him violently coughing and sprung into action when she saw him collapse. 

Mary snapped out of her daze. 

Mary emerged from her room and strolled down the stairs

Mary emerged from her room and strolled down the stairs. She could still hear Joker in his office talking to a business associate. She was about to open the door to the garage when Frost walked in. "You look like you seen a ghost."

Frost look was blank, "Miss Parker.."

Mary slowly walked up to him and sighed, "Dont hate me." 

Frost slightly shook his head, "it's in the past." 

Mary offered her hand, "Truce?"

Frost accepted it, "Truce." Just as he let her hand go. Mary noticed a figure standing at the top of the stairs watching. " Hello J." 

Frost looked up with a guilt free expression, "Boss."

Joker turned and motioned for Frost to follow him. Mary watched as the two disappeared. She then headed to the parking garage. She noticed the the Lamborghini's windshield had been replace from when she shoved a bat into the middle of it. She laughed to herself as she climed into a jet black suburban.  Mary quickly Mae her way to the museum for her meeting with the curator. 

Mary was surprised to see an old school acquaintance when she was shown into the curators  office, "Mary? Mary Parker?" 

"Nathan?" 

Nathan Smith walked around his desk and hugged a shocked Mary. He pulled her back to look at her, "Wow.. You look amazing." Mary blushed as she tucked a hair behind her ear as she looked down. He tried to follow her gaze as he smiled, "Still shy Mary."

Mary looked up as she beamed, "So how long have you worked here?"

Nathan leaned against his desk and crossed his arms. "About two years. Tell me.." Mary's eyebrows perked up, "How did you manage to be the executor of Oswalds estate?" 

Mary's smile slowly disappeared, "It's complicated."

"I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to.."

Mary held up her hand, "Its fine. He was actually a very dear friend to me. He is dearly missed."

Nathan uncrossed his arms as both hands pressed against the edge of the desk. "I'm sorry for your loss." Mary nodded. "So would you like to go to lunch and discuss tonight?" 

Mary's stomach had butterflies. "Sure.. That would be nice."