Chapter 22

Mary awoke to birds chirping outside her window

Mary awoke to birds chirping outside her window. She smiled as she smelled her bed sheets. This was a familiar scent. Mary eased out of the bed and her breath hitched when she felt a dull pain in her lower abdomen. She heaved as she finally caught her breath, "Probably just muscle aches from the seizure." She slowly walked to the bathroom to get ready for the day. As she stood brushing her teeth, the abdominal pain worsened, Mary screamed out as the pain shot through her. It felt as though someone took a searing knife and slashed through her lower abdomen. Mary lowered herself to her knees as she reached down between her legs and brought her hand back in front of her face. There was bright red blood covering it. She started to hyperventilate as she cried, "No.. No no no.." She screamed out again as the pain ripped through her body. She laid there bleeding on the cold bathroom floor as her clentced fist shook with pain.    

"Mary?" Salena tapped on her door. She was about to walk away until she heard her scream. Salena busted through the bathroom door, her face showed utter shock as Mary laid crying as a pool of blood formed at the bottom of her gown. 

Salena  turned to leave for help, but stopped when she heard Mary cry out, "No! Oh God please don't leave me!" Salena rushed to her side and held her hand, "I'll be right back! I have to call the doctor." Mary closed her eyes as she sobbed. Salena sprinted to the top of the foyer, "Olin! Call J, then Dr. Kent! Now!" Selena rushed back to Mary and found her siting against the tile wall with her feet pressed to the floor. She was breathing through her teeth as her chest heaved. Salena leaned beside her as she took her hand. 

Salena  jumped at the ringing of her phone. She swallowed as she answered the call from her boss. "J?"

"What's going on?!" 

Before Salena could utter any words Mary reared her head back as she screamed in pain. Salena squeezed her hand for support, she then looked down and saw Joker had hung up. She knew he would be there in minutes. 

Joker sprinted up the stairs to find Mary gritting  her teeth as she breathed. He took off his jacket as he leaned down next to her, "Where's fucking Dr. Kent?" He tenderly strooked his wife's forehead. Mary breathed deep as she tried to hold back the scream from the pain but couldn't. 

Salena shook her head, "We called, he said there was nothing that we can do. She just had to ride it out." 

Joker growled, "Bring him here now!" Salena sprinted from the bathroom to complete her mission. Joker slid closer to Mary and kissed her hand. "I'm here.. Daddy's here." His gut reached as she started to breath hard again as another contraction came, she screamed out ;then she was silent. It was over. Mary laid there in a daze as she realized the tiny life was no more. 

Joker placed his hand to the side of her face. "Mary?" 

Mary's eyes turned to his. He watched as her  eyes rolled with pain and shock. She slowly pressed them closed as she threw her head back and screamed with grief. Joker reared up and hugged her to his chest as she sobbed violently. "This is what Oswald meant. It seemed the little hope she had for a happy future was drifting away. The miscarriage was only the beginning." 

Joker rocked her in his lap as she continued to cry, " I wanna die.. Oh God please let me die." He started to cry with her as he rocked her. This was the only time anybody ever seen him cry.

Mary sat in shock as  Joker held her with his back propped against the bathroom wall. He heard Dr. Kent approach the bathroom. Dr. Kent was reluctant to enter when he saw Jokers angry face. " I'll treat her, as long as you don't take this out on me." Joker cut his eyes to his catatonic wife and nodded. Mary was still in shock to the point she hadn't realized she was being examined. Joker held her as she flinched with pain as Dr. Kent pressed in between her legs. "Her cervix is closed. The pain should be over."

Joker cut his eyes to him, "The physical kind, right?" 

Dr.Kent looked at Mary as she hung her head. "She needs lots of rest and attention." Joker sat silent as he watched Dr. Kent ease off the floor. He shook his head, "I'm sorry. For both of your loss."he then took his leave. 

Mary broke the silence as she continue to stare out into space, "Where is Grace?" 

Joker kissed her head, "She's safe. She's in the other wing of the house." Mary tried to ease off of his lap but was stopped by his grasp, "Where are you going?" 

"I.. I need a shower." Joker easily heaved himself off of the ground as he cradled her. He carried her to his bathroom and sat her on the vanity. She watched as he turned on the shower. He pealed his bloody clothes off and strolled up to her with a calm face. "Arms up." Mary did as she was told as he lifted the bloody garment off of her and threw it on the floor. He then scooped her up and opened the glass shower door. Joker gently placed her feet in front of his and stood behind her as he washed her hair shoulders and back. He slowly eased down and gently washed the blood from her backside down to her feet and between her legs. He swallowed a lump in his throat as he heard her cry. He eased back up and turned her to face him. Mary pressed her head against his chest as she cried. He wrapped his arms around her as the warm water spilled over them.