Chapter 1

(So I have this story prewritten... Enjoy!)

Chapter 1

Eleanora

I was walking through school, joined by my friend Sabine, when I saw Claire make out with Charles. He was her boyfriend, but he was also the biggest playboy in the entire school. I rolled my eyes at my blonde sister, obviously in love with the guy. "So how have you been doing?" Sabine asks and I smile. "Well, mom and dad think they have to repay me for being home so little, with the merge happening now, so they are trying to find a hint to my mother, or father." I say as I stare at the golden bracelet around my arm, the only thing my mother or father gave me before they gave me away. Mom and dad were my foster parents until I was three and they had Dan, then they legally adopted me, and I always felt loved there. So when they announced last week that they were going to locate my maternal parents, I wasn't thrilled. They were my parents. Suddenly Elle, the lead guitarist from our school band runs up to me with a big smile. "Nora! Great news. You, Jace and Max have been selected to sing the masterpiece on our big showcase April 24th." She says and I smile. "Go away, really?" I ask and she nods. I give her a big hug as she hands me the lyrics of the song we'll sing there. "The theme is 'The Amazing '90s' and the masterpiece will be Crucified." She says and I smile broadly as she runs to Max when she sees him. I make my way to my history class. Even though I am more into music and art, history is also one of my favourite classes, purely because my teacher is the best. Mr Scuderi is all about making history fun. Last year he re-enacted the decolonisation of the United States, the year before that he drew the battle of the Somme from WWII and in my first year here, he walked into class in a toga from the Roman Empire. The guy is a great storyteller and I think that he is a Dungeons and Dragons player too, with his capability to roleplay out of nothing. I sit down on my seat in the middle row. Sabine's seat is in the back and thus is this the only class we don't sit next to each other. As the bell rings, Mr Scuderi walks in in an amazing costume from what looks like the French revolution. "Baguette." He says, in a weak attempt to be funny, and we all laugh just because it looks ridiculous. He starts his class and soon I am lost in the class to even remotely pay attention.

When period ends, I walk to the music classrooms to join with the few other seniors who kept music in their subjects. The teacher smiles as I walk in. "We are making improvs. Wanna sing a solo or in a group?" She asks and I smile. "She'll be with us." Max and Jace say and I nod as I make my way over to them, giving them a high-five. They are the gay couple in our school, and are always try-hard in matchmaking me with a girl to complete our group, but I am just not looking for love yet. They have lyrics in their hands and I look at it. "Please don't leave me by P!nk'? Guys, what do you have to tell me?" I ask, faking shock. They laugh and look at me. "Dan told us about your parents looking for your maternal parents, so we thought this would be our way to plead you to stay here." They say with a big smile and I laugh. "You guys are crazy." I say and they laugh. As we practise, we see jealous looks our way. With a little bit of tweaking the song, making it just a little higher, we make our way to the studio to practise it. Max sits behind his piano, Jace takes his place behind the drums and I grab the headset and turn on the mic. Jace, who is closest to the recording button, hits it and soon we are filming the song. It is a thing we do. We film all our performances and put them on YouTube later, so we always can show what we can do. Everyone is gathered outside the studio to watch it as I start to sing. The second we leave the booth, we are stared after. "Will you go first?" Mrs Evans asks and we take the small improvised stages as I grab the microphone. Jace and Max grab the microphone stand to sing my back up and soon we are singing. As we finish they are silent. "Was it that bad?" I silently ask the guys and they shrug. "No, it wasn't that bad. It was just... just-" Mrs Evans starts and Sabine finishes her: "The best one so far. There was so much feels here, like right there." And the class nods. A girl in my class, Ava, looks at me. "It looked like you were begging us to not leave you." She says and I smile. "I kind of was, but that is okay." I say softly and Sabine gives me a sad smile. "What is it" Mrs Evans asks and I look at her. "My paternal parents are looking for my maternal parents, and I fear for what might happen when they find them." I say and the group hugs me, as I feel the tears forming in my eyes as I try to hug them all back.

Lana

As I park my car on the lawn, I see that Fred's car is already there. I smile as I enter, seeing the three sons of Fred and himself in the kitchen, cooking food. "I'm home guys." I say and they turn around and all smile brightly. Fred runs up to me and gives me a deep kiss. "Missed you." He said with a cheeky grin and I smile broadly as I see what the guys are making. "Lasagne?" I ask surprised as Fred smiles broadly. "Well, the guys thought because you love it and just had to clean out your trailer, we would cook and let us spoil you." He says and I smile as I sit down at the kitchen table and look at the guys. "By the way Lana, there was a letter for you today." Matt tells me as he points to a white envelope with my name written on it. In curiosity I open it, since most of the mail I got was fan mail and bills, barely any real mail. As I start to read, I flee the kitchen and lock myself up in the bedroom, as I read the entire letter, tears starting to fall from my eyes. "Lana?" I hear Fred ask softly and I pat the tears away. "Yeah?" I say as I open the door. "What is it?" He asks and I sigh. "Remember I told you I put this girl up for adoption?" I ask him and he looks at me. "She wrote you?" He asks and I shake my head. "No, her adoption parents did. She was adopted barely minutes after I gave her away Fred, and she escaped the system." I say crying happy tears. I look at the photo they enclosed with it, and all I see is a vibrant 17 year old teen, smiling happily at the camera. "She is so pretty." He says and I smile. "She is." I murmur as Jack calls us, telling that dinner is almost ready.

After dinner I head up to my room again, this time to read the entire letter.

Dear Ms Parrilla,

First, allow us to introduce ourselves. We are Theo and Emma Jackson, both 45 years old and we have been married since our 25th. Almost 18 years ago, we visited the hospital, where we went in with one child, and left with our second girl. We believe she was yours. We named her Eleonora Samantha Jackson, wanting to keep the name her mother gave her alive.

This year, Eleonora turns 18, and we would love to tell her we found her parents. If you are interested to see her before you meet, or even to meet up with us, we live just outside of Vancouver and April 24th at Luther King High School in Vancouver, she has a big showcase in which she will most likely have a big piece to sing. We hereby also enclose some pictures of her so you can see how she looks like, since we can only imagine you wondering how your little girl grew out to look like.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Theo and Emma Jackson

I felt my tears again as I realised she didn't even live that far away from me. I kept reading the letter and then look at the three photos they send with it. I place her high school photo on my nightstand, while the other two find a spot in my drawer. Matt walks in and I look up. "Dad said you were feeling down so we kind of called Dominos and ordered a dropload of cookies and icecre- who is that?" He asks as he sees the photo on my nightstand. "My daughter." I say with a soft, sad smile and he looks at me. "The one you had to give up?" He asks and I nod as I look at her. "She looks just like you." He says and I smile. "She has her father's nose though." I say and he smiles. "Take it downstairs. I bet Jack and Patrick would love to see our sister too." He says and I look up at him in surprise. "C'mon Lana, we might not call you mom, but you are my father's girlfriend, and thus our stepmother. She is our sister." He says and I smile. "Thank you." I say and take the photo with me downstairs. "Guys, Lana has a photo of our sister." Matt announces as we walk in, and I see the surprise in their eyes. "you found her?" They asks and I shake my head. "Her adoptive parents found me and send me photos. They invited me to one of her showcases though, April 24th." I say and I see Fred smile. "What?" I ask and the boys smile too. "Well, we'll be with mom and you two will leave for your weekend to Israel that Friday, so I think you have no excuse to not go." Patrick says and I look at them. "You think I should go?" I ask and they all nod. I smile as I drop on the couch and grab a Ben&Jerry's and a spoon. "Fine, I'll go, I mean her high school is Luther King High School." I say and I see Jack turn to me. "That is 30 minutes from here. Mom, fate wants you two to be together." He says in a happy voice and I smile. "Well, still, I think she should have her birthday without us, but I'll contact the parents for the 24th." I say and the guys laugh as Fred starts up Netflix to watch a series.