Chapter 40- Marlene's Back

Lily POV

September flies by, and by the time I actually think about it again, it's the night of Halloween, and I'm playing Truth or Dare with the gang on the floor of the Head's common room. It's funny how much time sneaks past you, you know? 

"Sirius, absolutely not. No no and no. That is a ridiculous rule!" Bella exclaims, leaning away from him. James nods. "Maybe in 5th year, but not now, Padfoot. We all know each other too well." Sirius scowls. "These girls have softened you up, Prongsy. Not good, not good at all." James rolls his eyes and gives him a playful shove. "Speak for yourself, lover boy." I laugh. Sirius is (very well known, might I add) totally, completely smitten with Bella, and it's known as an actual event that on Friday mornings he recites terrible poetry to her at the top of his lungs at breakfast. 

Most people skip eating that day.

Mary pipes up. "Majority rules, Sirius. The rule of 'You take off an article of clothing every time you do not compete a truth or dare' is officially terminated." She bangs a fake gavel on the floor and leans back into Remus's arms. In the past few weeks, I don't think I've ever seen Remus so happy. I hear a distinct knock at the door and rise to get it. I pause, and hear giggles from the other side of the door. James turns and frowns. I walk to the door and whip it open. My jaw drops. Standing on the other side of the door, is the only and only

Marlene McKinnon. "Mar?" I ask, still in disbelief. She pops a hand in the air, the other hand holding none other than Rosie Potter. There's a black suitcase at her side, and she's just as I remember, just with a slight American accent. "Surprise!" She says, and Rosie smiles, jumping down from her arms and running to surprise James. I give her a bone crushing hug. "What are you doing here?" I say. She smiles. "Mom & Dad have this really big full Order meeting, literally there's people coming from all over the world. James's parents are there too, so I have a babysitting gig with Rosie, and we decided to visit you!" She exclaimed, looking around. "It's just as I remember it. Ilvermorny just doesn't cut it, you know?" "Oh come in!" I say, jumping out of the way. She walks in, and rests her suitcase on the wall. "Well, I don't know why I'm surprised. Head Girl, loyal boyfriend, steady friend group...." She trails off, turning to me. "You were always the more mature one." My friends fall quiet at the sight of her. 

"Marlene?" Bella says, shifting uncomfortably in Sirius's arms. "I can explain...." Marlene's face is in shook. She takes in a breath and turns to Sirius, her expression unreadable. "You." She says, softly, stepping towards him. "OWE ME TEN GALLEONS BECAUSE MARUS HAS TAKEN FLIGHT BABYYYYYYY!" She screams, running to hug Mary. She turns to me. "Come on, I called it first. Literally the Hogwarts Express, first year, did I not?" "So you're not mad?" Sirius & Bella ask at the same time. She smirks at them. "As long as you're not mad at me for dating a Hogwarts boy." She says, looking at her nails. Remus points an accusing finger at her. "DEREK HALE." She looks a taken back. "Yeah, how'd you know?" Remus smirks and silently holds his hand out to James, who sighs and  hands over 5 sickles. "You've gotten learn to not bet against that Remus, guys." She hugs everyone, making her way around the circle, stopping at Bella and Sirius. She smiles sadly. "Seriously, I'm really happy for you guys. I love you both with all my heart. Some relationships aren't meant for forever, but they were definitely were meant to happen." Sirius nods, and smiles. 

"Ditto, Mar." Bella hugs her childhood friend, and whispers, "Thank you." Marlene plops herself next to me, and James casts a Muffilato spell over a sleeping Rosie on his lap. "Truth or Dare, right?" Alice holds out her hands. "Hold up, girlfriend. Tell us more about this boyfriend of yours." She smiles and her face drifts off into a dreamy state. "He's Derek Hale, a 7th year Hufflepuff. He's just absolutely amazing. Him and his family came on vacation to America over the summer. He happened to come into the bakery I was working at for the summer, and he asks me out a couple days later. He just makes me so happy." She says dreamily. Ironically enough, Remus James and Sirius all say at the same time. "Well let him know, if he hurts your pinkie, he'll have us to answer too." We all laugh. Rosie wakes up at our loud laughs. "I have to go to the bathroom." She announces, and Peter volunteers to take her.