Chapter 42- Sirius Can Hide Secrets Too

Lily POV

I wake up to a wet pillow. James cried, and cried, and cried, until he fell asleep last night. I felt so bad, so so bad, but there was nothing I could do except hold him and comfort his cries. The funeral is today. It is very quick, but James's parents wanted it to be quick. Too much pain.

They still don't know the guy who did it.

"James." I whisper, shaking his shoulder gently. His eyes are red from crying. "Lily?" His voice cracks. "Come on honey, you have to get up for the funeral today." I kiss him lightly. He slowly gets out of bed. "So it really happened, huh?" He sighed, pressing his hands down on the wooden dresser. I see tears prickling his eyes, and slowly they start to come to mine. I wordlessly place a hand on his shoulder. "It'll be better when they find the guy who did it, right?" I say, trying to give him some reassuring thoughts. He shook his head. "It won't. Because she's still gone." His voice choked up. "I can't bring myself to say the word dead." He whispered. The tears fall down his face, leaving trails of pain on his cheeks. I rub his back. "What about justice?" He turns and stands, starting to pace. "Justice doesn't matter. She's gone." 

He takes a breath. "She's dead. And I swear to God, when I find the guy who did it...." His fists ball up at his sides. "It won't matter that he's behind bars, or that he's dead. It won't change anything that's happened. You can't exchange a soul for a soul." He faces me. James's face is so full of pain. I sigh. "Tell me what you're thinking." He pleads. I hesitate. "Please, I need to hear reality." "Well, I think Rosie wouldn't want you to sit here moping around that she's gone. I'm not saying you're not allowed to be mad, or sad, because you are. It's only natural. But she'd want you to use her death as a step stool, and use that pain as motivation to beat Voldemort. You knew her better than anyone. She hated anything to do with the Dark Arts, or how she put it, magic that isn't sparkly and colorful." I let out, looking at my clenched fists. He nodded. "You're right. You're absolutely right." He sits next to me and laces his hands around mine. 

"Have I told you how much I love you?" I blush and nod, kissing him lightly. "Let's go. We have a couple minutes to get ready, then go." He nods, and looks out the window. "Appropriate that it's at sunrise, isn't it?" I nod. "She always woke me up to watch the sunrise with her, then we would make hot chocolate and watch muggle cartoons." I turn around to see Bella & Sirius in black. He's in a suit, and Bella's in black jeans, black tank top and black leather jacket. She's wearing all of the many bracelets Bella made everyone and sent James. Her hair is loose around her shoulders. Sirius smiles at the memory. I ruffle his hair. "Where'd you go last night?" James says, looking at him. "One minute you were in the hospital wing, the next you weren't." Sirius looks a bit guilty. "I just couldn't be in there anymore, mate. Sorry." He shakes his head. "No it's fine. I get it." Bella grips Sirius's hand. "Any news?" I shake my head somberly. I quickly slip into a black shirt and skater skirt. I fool around with my hair for a bit until Bella walks in. I smile. "You always know the exact moments when I need you." She laughs. "Even back home, I'm the girl who braids everyone's hair." I laugh with her as she parts my hair down the middle. Her fingers move nimbly and soon my thick unruly hair is plaited into two French braids. 

I shake my head. "I could never understand how you manage to do that so quickly." She laughs. "Practice, my friend, practice. Haven't you heard of the Muggle saying practice makes perfect?" I roll my eyes. "Entirely too often. I run down the stairs to see James waiting with Sirius in a suit. I walk down and fix his bowtie. "You look handsome." I say quietly, kissing him quickly. Sirius yelps like a dog and covers his eyes. James rolls his eyes. "You look beautiful." He says sincerely, and pulls me into a real kiss. His hair is soft and silky. I pull back because Sirius is running around like headless chicken. "MY EYES! MY VIRGINITY!" He shrieks, one hand out in front of him and one over his eyes. He knock over a table and his hand happens to land on Bella's chest as she walks down the stairs. His face whitens and he removes his hand slowly from his eyes. Her eyebrows raise. He quickly removes his hand. "Uh, sorry." He mutters.