Chapter 50- Rings?

Lily POV

It is New Years Eve. Sirius has enlisted me in a secret. James doesn't know. Bella doesn't know. Mia doesn't know. Fleamont doesn't know. Remus doesn't know. Peter doesn't know.

He is proposing to Bella. 

He paces nervously in the room, the box on the dresser. I sit on the bed, dressed in my finest. Bella and James are waiting for us downstairs. "Let's go over this one more time." I say calmly. He nods. "Right after Fleamont does his New Year toast, I take Bella outside on the balcony." I nod, handing him the ring. "You say your speech." I prompt. He runs a hand through his hair, giving me the ring back. "Wait! What knee do I go down on?" He says, frantic. I place my hands on his shoulders. 

"It doesn't matter which knee. All that matters, is you taking her up there, telling her how much you love her, and asking her to be your wife." I say soothingly. He looks at me. "What if she says no?" He says, scared. I close my eyes. "We'll burn that bridge when we get to it." He nods, stepping outside. "Sirius!" I call. He turns around. "Aren't you missing something?" I ask, holding out the box. His eyes widen, and he grabs it. "I don't know what I would do without you, Lily." I ruffle his hair. "You'd be failing Herbology, that's for one." He walks downstairs and offers Bella an arm. She takes it, and I hear someone's voice. "Mr. Sirius Orion Black the Third and his girlfriend, Miss Bellatrix-" He stops. I can almost imagine her shaking her head wildly. The crowd claps politely.

I meet James at the end of the hallway.

"Lily, I-" He says, shaking his head. "How is that you manage to leave me speechless whether you're in sweats or a prom dress?" He says softly, pulling me in close. I kiss him lightly. He grabs my hand and pulls me along gently. "Come on. Time to face the public." He starts walking, but stops and looks back. "Although I'd much rather stay here alone with you." I squeeze his hand. "I feel the same." 

"Mr. James Fleamont Potter, and his girlfriend, Miss Lily Marie Evans!" He says, and we step out onto the landing. I smile, and James squeezes my hand, flashing the crowd one of his signature charming smiles. We walk down and the attention is temporarily gone, as another couple walks out. "Okay, so we're gonna have to talk to people." James says. I nod. "You want me to say stuff, or stand here and look pretty?" I ask. He smirks. "Both. Because you're already pretty." I groan and follow him over to a couple.

 "Mr. and Mrs. Rosier. How nice to see you again." He says, smiling. I can clearly tell it's fake, but they don't seem to be fazed. "James." Mrs. Rosier says, kissing his cheek gently. "And who might this be?" She says, eyeing me up and down. I suddenly feel self conscious, like a rabbit being eyed like an eagle. "This is my girlfriend, Lily Evans." He says shortly. Mr. Rosier laughed loudly, clapping him on the shoulder. "Finally got the bird, huh son?" James forces a smile. "Yes sir." 

"What do your parents do, honey?" Mrs. Rosier says sweetly. I have a feeling there is an ulterior motive to her questioning. I smile. "They're dentists." Her smile and sweet demeanor falters. "Dentists?" I swallow the lump in my chest. "It's a Muggle profession." They both stare at me. "So  you're Muggle-born, then?" Mr. Rosier questions. "Yes." I say. "And you say you love this girl, James?" He says. James nods and squeezes my hand. "Very much, sir." Mrs. Rosier frowns. "You aren't going to stain the Sacred Twenty-Eight, are you?" My chest contracts, and it takes all I have to not collapse. James frowns. 

"With all due respect, Mrs. Rosier, I love Lily very much and nothing about her parentage or any traditions are going to change that."

She purses her lips. "Well, it was nice chatting with you, James, but I'm afraid we need to get going." Mr. Rosier nods, grabbing his wife's hand and pulling her along. I sigh. "I'm sorry, James, I didn't mean to upset them-" He kisses me. "It's not your fault my parents have to invite prejudiced brats." "I don't want to upset your family, though." He waves a hand. "I could care less what these prats think of me. If they hate the fact that I'm in love with you, so be it. I'm not going to deny it." He says softly. I kiss him again. "I love you." "I love you too."