Chapter 11

The ride is bumpy, my head hitting the roof of the car. Drive any faster and you're gonna knock me unconscious. I think to Edward. He sends me a look through the rear view mirror, his speed increasing. Jerk wad. We pull up the field, the wolf pack arriving as we step out. Bella goes stand with Edward and his family, leaving me by the jeep. My eyes sweep over the pack, landing on Embry. His wolf is so beautiful. Dark grey at the top, fading into white. This isn't the first time I've seen him in wolf form, but every time I do, I'm always mesmerized.

Jasper informs them of ways to avoid a vampire from killing them, calling up members of his family to show how to beat them. The practice lasts for about an hour. I watch as Jasper faces every member of his family, and wins. I wonder where he learned all this stuff. Once the practice ends, Embry disappears behind a tree and emerges minutes later in his human form.

I run up to him, wrapping my arms around his waist. He lifts my chin, placing his lips on mine. He pulls away, pecking my nose. I laugh, shaking my head at him. He grabs my hand, our fingers naturally tangling together. We begin the long walk to Emily's, talking about random things.

"Em? What was it like when you first phased?"

"It was...weird. The shift starts out like having mono, headaches, high fever, then the pain comes. You're in bed for days, your bones and muscles stretching to prepare for when you're in wolf form. The high fever to adjust your body temperature. Some people phase because of the pain, others out of anger. Mine was the pain. Sam knew I had phased, came running to me. He helped calm me down enough to shift back, told me everything. It wasn't the best time, but having Sam and Jared and Paul helped me realize I wasn't alone, we all went through the same thing."

"Do...does your mom know?"

"Yeah, it was pretty funny actually. She saw me phase through the kitchen window, flipped out. I didn't realize she had seen til she ran out the door, tried throwing a dish towel at me. Took Sue, Harry, and Billy to convince her the legends were true."

"A dish towel?" I ask between my laughs. Embry nods his head, laughing with me. By the time we get to Sam and Emily's, the sun has started to set. Everyone is sitting around the fire, laughing and telling stories. I find Kim, making my way over to her while Embry grabs some food.

"Lucy! It's been too long! How are you?" She pulls me into a hug, laughing into my ear. I hug back, sitting down on the log next to her.

"I'm good, how are you? How's things with Jared?"

"Good, well, it could be better. With every thing going on, things have just been weird. Not that I'm blaming you, cause I'm not."

"No, it's fine, I understand." We continue talking. That's one of the things I like about Kim. No matter how different we may be, we've still managed to be friends. She's one of the few people who I can talk to about everything.

Embry sits next to me, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me close. Seth sits next to him, sending me a goofy smile. Bella and Jacob arrive, taking a seat across from us. Billy starts telling the legend of the third wife, how she sacrificed herself to save the tribe. By the end of the story everyone has tears in their eyes.

During the story, there's one thing that I noticed. Billy kept glancing at me, at all of the imprints. At first, I didn't know why he kept doing it, but then it clicked. All of us, all of us imprints are important. We may not have known it til now, but we are. We have a job to do: protect the tribe, in any way we can.