Chapter 2

I let out a long sigh when I looked over at the table that Aiyana, Ji-Hun, Wyatt and I used to sit on to find it already occupied by senior girls. I tightened my grip on the metal tray I had in my hands as I wondered if I should approach them and ask them to move. I was the only one here today, the other three had things to do. Mrs. Jones had called Ji-Hun and Wyatt, while Aiyana had some class representative duty to attend to.

I bit my bottom lip as I let my eyes wander about the room for a free seat.

"Move it." I heard someone say as they passed by me, bumping my shoulder with theirs, and making me stagger a little to the side. The small plastic cup of ketchup spilling a bit on my tray, but I didn't quite have the energy to be upset today.

After looking about for two more minutes and not finding a place to seat I started to get worried and wondered if I could eat outside. I looked about for Caleb, but it soon dawned on me that he never spent time in the cafeteria anyway so he was probably in the art room eating lunch and not here.

"Hey, why are you just standing around?" a voice said. I blinked, realizing that I'd spaced out before turning to find Felix standing right beside me. I felt my face warm up at the sight of him. He was looking straight at me with a smile as he held on to his tray. He was wearing pale blue jeans with a dark-colored top.

"Well?" he repeated, making me let out a string of words in apology as I looked down at my tray of food.

"I'm sorry. I can't find a place to sit, that's all," I mumbled as I looked about the hall again.

"You can come and sit with me. It's usually just me and Simon, but he's in the tech lab at the moment helping Mr. Grey set up for his next class."

"Oh... Thanks," I mumbled, a little shocked at his offer. I watched him smile at me before following him to the table at the corner that I often stole glances at during lunch. I waited for him to sit down before taking the seat across his.

He didn't attempt to talk to me after he settled down, and just went about eating the soggy fries the cafeteria had provided. I looked away from him when I noticed that my glance had turned into a stare before making to eat as well. Felix seemed at ease, but the silence made me paranoid.

"Thanks for handing the file over to Ji-Hun," Felix suddenly said, making me look up at him. He was holding a fry in his hand and the other hand held on to his phone as he strolled with his thumb.

"It's no problem," I mumbled, grabbing the can of coke on my tray in an attempt to keep my shaking hands distracted. It was at times like this that I thanked the heavens for my skin color. Being dark meant people usually couldn't tell when I was blushing or flustered, which was a relief.

"Ji-Hun told me that you're good with computers." Felix looked up. "He said that you could help with revamping the school's website, but are you up for it?"

"Sure," I muttered, scratching the back of my neck as I tried not to look away from him.

Lame answer Ben, very lame.

I thought to myself as I watched him nod at it anyway. I started to feel a bit panicked, wondering if he was just going to keep asking me questions as I gave him one-word responses.

Well, at least it's not gibberish this time.

A voice said in my head as I looked down at my plate of fries that were probably cold now. He didn't seem to be interested in saying anything else and I finally relaxed and continued eating. I found myself checking the time before letting myself look at Felix briefly.

There was still twenty minutes left until lunch was over, meaning I still had twenty minutes sitting at the same table as him. If I'm lucky maybe Aiyana would finish her impromptu meeting soon and walk into the cafeteria and spare me the awkwardness. I'd them have a reason to leave, and maybe eat more freely instead of worrying about the thought.