Chapter 3

A groan of frustration left my lips as I jumped at the sound the door of the tech lab slapping shut behind me. I'd always managed to startle myself by leaving the door wide open when I walked in, and the wind took over from me to shut the door with force.

"That's loud. Did you just throw the door open?"

I blinked at the sound of someone's voice, before looking around the room. I found someone sitting at the desk at the far end as they used their laptop. A frown took form on my face as I tried to think of why the person was there in the first place. I usually came here during this period, and I was usually the only one.

Holding on to my laptop bag, I walked towards the table at the other end of the room. When I'd settled down and turned on my laptop I let my gaze wander to the person at the other end. I blinked, realizing it was Felix when the person raised their head a bit.

"Felix?" I said in surprise. I wasn't sure he heard me until he turned towards me with a smile on his face.

"Hmm?" he mumbled with a frown, looking at me before returning his gaze to his computer screen. I looked away, a little disappointed but his blunt reply. Maybe he was really busy?

I shook my head, deciding to work on the paper I had due for my critical thinking class. I started working on it, and a few minutes in I heard Felix's voice echo in the room.

"I'm sorry about my reply, I wasn't really listening..." He trailed, making me look over to the desk he was sitting at. He was staring straight at me as he used a hand to rearrange his dark bangs. "I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong in regards to coding, but it's just not working."

"Oh," I mumbled, looking towards the document on my computer. I'm guessing it can wait a few minutes. "I can help," I said, turning my attention back to him.

"You can?" he asked, looking at me with a grin. I nodded, getting off my seat before heading over to him. He leaned back on the wooden chair so that I could take a proper look at the laptop's screen, but he was still close enough that the denim jacket he was wearing was brushing against my arm when I leaned in. I tried not to think about the fact that Felix was so close by as I took a proper look at the running code and the displayed preview of what it was supposed to produce at the side.

"It's just a simple error. You're leaving spaces everywhere and breaking the code," I eventually said after having a proper look at what he'd done. He was coding for what looked like a comment section.

I wonder what it's for.

"Darn it, I should have noticed," he laughed, his voice ringing in my ear and making the hairs on my neck stand up. I got out of the way as calmly as I could in hopes that he wouldn't know that his laugh had affected me.

"I'm clumsy when it comes to computer numeric. It's going to be impossible to finish this before the deadline," he muttered to no one in particular as he made to correct the mistake I'd pointed out.

"What are you even trying to do?" I dared to ask as I watched him work, his fingers gliding on the laptop's keyboard swiftly as he typed. I was starting to wonder if it was some sort of assignment.

"I entered a young innovators' contest," he answered, his words quickly followed by a short-lived laugh. "I might be innovative, but I'm not much of an inventor. All my silly mistakes prove it."

"Hmm, but what exactly are you trying to make?" I asked, leaning in to try and see if I could figure it out. "Is it a website?"

"Something close..." he trailed as he stopped typing to hold his chin as his eyes examined the preview result. "I'm trying to build a social media site."