Chapter 19

At the end of the school day, I headed home with Aiyana, Ji-Hun, and Wyatt. I let a small smile play on my lips as I watched Ji-Hun and Wyatt up front holding hands as they walked side by side. I wanted that, but right now, I couldn't have it.

"You've been moody all day. Did Felix so something?"

"What?" I asked, turning to look at Aiyana who was walking beside me with her hands in the pockets of her jumpsuit. She shrugged at my shocked one-word question, repeating what she'd said earlier.

"I'm asking if Felix did anything," she said, making me open my mouth in both confusion and shock.

Why is she mentioning Felix? I thought, running a hand through my curls as I looked away from her.

"Come on, tell me. Aiyana knows all, you know," she joked, laughing as she made the childish 'I'm watching you' gesture with her index and pointing finger.

"Did Ji-Hun tell you?" I asked, growing a bit anxious as I turned away. I was trying to be as vague as possible. I mean, she might know Felix and I had some sort of argument, but I doubted that she knew why.

"I pointed out to Ji-Hun that you've been staring at Felix a bit too frequently earlier in the year," she said, making my face warm up.

Okay, she knows that.

"I just wanted you to tell me yourself, but it seemed like you'd never do that," she added with a grin.

"Oh," I simply said as I looked down at the concrete pavement as we walked in tune, our feet treading on the ground in a uniform pace.

"Cheer up," she said, patting my shoulder apologetically before humming something under her breath. She didn't say anything after that and allowed me to dwell in my own thoughts until we got to my stop. They waved me off as I crossed the street to get to my house, before continuing on their way while I headed for the front door to knock.

"Good evening," I said when the door creaked open to reveal my mother. She smiled at me, stepping aside so that I could walk into the building.

"You look exhausted," she said as I rubbed the area around my eyes. All I could do was offer her a small smile, shrugging as I took my bag off my shoulders.

"I am actually — sort of," I said, watching as she headed back to the sofa in the living room before taking the remote from the armrest to reduce the volume of the sitcom that was playing on the TV. I frowned a bit when she shifted, tapping the space beside her for me to take a sit. I bit my bottom lip in thought before heading to settle down beside her.

"What's making you look like you have a stick up your butt?" she asked, turning a bit so that she could look me in the eye. I turned away, feeling my face warm up. I just couldn't tell her about Felix. I might have to make something up so that she can let me go.

"Is it your girlfriend? Samantha told me you have a girlfriend."

I felt my eyes burn with unshed tears at her words. I wiped my eyes furiously, hoping that she hadn't caught onto my immediate breakdown. "What? I don't have a girlfriend, Samantha's making things up."

"Really? Because you look upset by the mere mention of—"

"It's a boy, mum — a boy, and he's not even my boyfriend," I said, irritation slipping into my tone. My expression relaxed when I realized what I'd said. I stared at my mother's shocked face with a mixture of emotions as I opened my mouth, closing it when I realized that I wasn't too sure of what to say.

"A boy?" she asked, frowning. "You're dating a boy?"

Her voice was now raised, making me panic a bit. I shook my head at her words, trying to calm her down. "We're not dating—"