Chapter 8

"Great, we can start working on the school website," Felix said, clapping his hands as a smile played on his face. Felix, Ji-Hun and I were in the Arts and Design room with two other people. Felix had called a small meeting to sort out things concerning the school website so we could start working on it properly during the next council gathering.

It was the period after break, and one of the Art teachers, Mr. Dave, had allowed us to use the art room. We were all sitting on individual donkey benches, with our laptops cradled on our laps as all our chargers meet in a shared extension box.

"That looks nice." I tensed up when I heard Felix's voice behind me as the sound of the nearby bench being moved accompanied it. Soon enough he was sitting beside me, his head cocked a little so he could see what I was doing on my laptop. I was just starting to update the code while Ji-Hun, who was sitting about three donkey benches away from me, working on the site's media.

"Yeah," I mumbled, trying to work on the site while ignoring his presence beside me.

"Thank you," I mumbled, running the fingers of my free hand through my short curls as the fingertips on my other hand moved against the laptop's keyboard.

"Are you uncomfortable with me watching?" he suddenly asked. I felt myself sigh in relief as I bit my bottom lip before nodding.

"I... Yes. It's kind of uncomfortable," I admitted in a short breath, turning a little so I could see his face in full. He frowned a bit, making me worry, but the small smile that followed allowed me to relax a bit. He leaned away from me, stretching his arms before nodding.

"Okay, I'll leave then," he said as he got up from the bench he'd been sitting on. "I'll check up on Simon and Ji-Hun," he announced before walking away.

I watched him from my seat, looking away when he took the donkey bench between Simon and Ji-Hun and immediately got involved in what they were doing.

You asked him to leave, didn't you? He didn't just get up on his own. I scolded myself when a sad feeling started to prick me in the chest when I heard Simon's laugh ring through the room. I've always had a problem with jealousy. I got so easily jealous and it was irritating — even to me.

I tried to concentrate on the work I was doing, but boredom soon took over, and I was soon loading and playing the Zuma dulex game on my PC.

"What a way to slack off," I heard someone say from in front of me. I frowned, not being able to recognize the voice. Looking up, I spotted the young Art intern named Toby that had joined the Art department to work with the current art teachers a few months ago. I had a feeling he liked it here, and would probably be offered a job in the department when his internship was over.

"I'm just taking a break," I mumbled, making him laugh as he shook his head. He had chestnut-colored hair and bright brown big eyes. I couldn't place his age exactly, but I doubted that he was over twenty-five.

"Okay then, just make sure your break isn't too long," he said, sarcasm playing in his tone before he turned and walked away. I watched him move to the new desk put in place for him in the art room. My brow rose with interest when I noted Caleb sitting beside the desk the art intern went to sit behind.

Huh, he's usually at Mr. Dave's table. I turned away, deciding it was better to mind my own business. I played the Zuma game, switching between it and the school website. The period soon ended, making everyone pack up to head out of the Arts and Design room for their next class.

Felix stood at the door, thanking everyone for their work as the passed by him and out the door.

"Good job Ben," he said with a wide smile as I got to the entrance. I nodded, running a hand through my hair nervously before slipping through the door. I was still going to meet up with Felix after school to help him with his personal project.