Chapter 20

The weekend eventually rolled around with me not having talked to Felix yet. People were testing the site, so we didn't really have anything to do at the moment. I had also avoided staying in the same areas as him. I'd avoided him during the council meeting on Friday, and taken another route to the lunch table I shared with Aiyana, Ji-Hun, and Wyatt. I was starting to feel better, less confused and upset with anything and everything.

"Can you pass the screwdriver?" I blinked, looking to find Teresa holding out her palm. I muttered a string of apologies before handing her the screwdriver on the table that I was leaning on. I was in the shop, hanging out with Tim, Bob, and Teresa. As long as I didn't obstruct them they didn't find me to be too much of a bother.

"Your mind isn't here kid. Maybe you should head upstairs," she said, tightening the screws, her braids falling about her face. I sighed, nodding before removing my weight from the table. I tucked my phone into my pocket before making to leave the room. As I walked up the stairs I passed by my mother. I looked away, not really wanting to say anything. I really just needed peace of mind so I could think and maybe take a nap.

When I got up to my room I turned the knob, heading straight to my bed. I landed on the soft mattress, burying my head into the nearest pillow before groaning. I was just a breathing mess at the moment.

It's been a week, why are you still sulking? I asked myself, raising my head before turning a bit so that I could see the time on the clock.

4:00 PM.

I still had a long time before I could call it a day. The days seemed to have started dragging on slowly since I'd made a decision to give myself space. Maybe it was longing, or maybe I just didn't have any self-control. I sighed, turning my back before searching my pocket for my phone. I unlocked the screen to be meet with the Kik app I'd had open downstairs. Ji-Hun and Aiyana had logged off, leaving me online by myself.

What now? I asked no one in particular, trying to find a way to bypass the time. I'd been on Kaneva this morning, but Felix has started messaging me, making me log off. I was trying to stay away from him, but I didn't want to come off as rude either so I was trying not to block him. Logging into any social media site seemed like an invite for him to talk to me.

I contemplated my options for a while, before settling with opening up Instagram. I'll just go through some cosplay accounts and that'll be it. I told myself as I searched up a tag of an anime I'd watched the week before. I was soon blessed with a stream of cosplay content, and I browsed through it and let time pass by.

FELIX:
Hey.

I frowned when the chat notification came up. What do I have to do to get it through to him that I don't want to talk with him without actually saying it? I sighed, ignoring the message as I continued to browse, but in the next ten minutes or so I got another one — okay, ignoring him wasn't working.

FELIX:

I know you're trying to ignore me.
I can see that you're online for crying out loud.

I thought you said that we could still be friends?

The messages followed each other with short time gaps which eventually made me click out of the app when my fingers started to shake.

I don't have time for this. Shaking my head, I took deep breaths before putting my phone aside and covering my face with my warm palms. The room had its AC on, but I still felt warm for some reason. I groaned, getting irritated at myself for being so worked up over a couple of messages from Felix.

Relax. I tried to will myself, taking my hands away from my face before I picked up my phone. Maybe I can try and go out with one of my friends to get my mind off things. Hanging out in the park, the arcade or a restaurant could really clear my head.