Chapter 24

"I hope we're not late," Felix said, looking out of his car's window as he drove into the compound of the rented hall. We were heading for the showing of our site. It was right after the hackathon and a series of talks from small entrepreneurs and representatives of some big companies.

"We still have time. I think we've just missed one talk," I said, looking down at my leather wristwatch. I heard Felix sigh in what I believed was a relief, making me look up to find out that he'd seen a free parking space.

We got down soon after, heading for the main building together with our backpacks, our computers, and presentation sheets safely within them. We did the necessary by identifying ourselves at the main entrance before heading into the semi-lit hall with air-conditioning.

"Do you have our seat numbers?" Felix asked as we squeezed through the rows.

"Yeah, 26 and 25," I said, watching him nod as he led the way. We were soon seated in our separate seats, the number tags attached to the headrests of the chair with safety pins. When I settled down I let myself relax and watch the petite woman that was currently on stage speak into the mic in her hand. I pulled my bag to my lap, searching for the sheet of events I'd received at the door. I nodded when I read through it, realizing that she was a small tech entrepreneur, and was addressing the revolution of technology within small businesses.

"Ben," I heard Felix say a few minutes into us listening to the talk. I turned to him, wondering why he'd called me before I looked down to find his palm spread out on the armrest of his chair. I looked at it for a bit, flushing when it dawned on me that he was looking for me to hold on to his hand.

I blinked for a bit, nodding before taking his pale hand in mine, smiling a bit when he gave my hand a squeeze. I watched the rest of the lady's talk with warm cheeks and a racing heartbeat.

This is what boyfriends do, right? I thought to myself, letting the fact that I was now dating Felix sink in. I'd told Ayiana and the rest that we were during a school day, and they'd just nodded — well, Ayiana had attacked me with a hug. My mother's face had paled when I'd told her about it. I had been a bit demoralized, but having a chat with Felix right after had cheered me up.

People clapped at the end of the lady's talk and a bald, white-bearded man replaced her on the stage when she walked down.

"I'm a university representative looking to talk post-secondary opportunities to the participants of today's showing of young inventors. So, I hope some of you are excited about that. On to my talk then, we'll be discussing content creation—"

"Ben?" I heard Felix's voice say as the man's voice blurred into the background as I zeroed in on Felix with a confused frown, wondering why he was calling me.

"Can we leave the hall and walk around? We'll come back during the second to the last talk before the showing so that we can set up our stand. I don't think I can sit here for three more hours," he said, his head bent towards me so that the people sitting beside us couldn't hear him.

I thought about it for a while before eventually nodding. I didn't think I could sit through it either. We got up soon after, slipping out the row of seats before leaving through the main exit, and walking out into the open parking lot. I made to head for his car, but Felix took my hand and pulled me towards a different direction. It was then I noticed the small shop hiding in the corner. People were gathered around it, buying snacks. I waited on the line with Felix until it was our turn.

The man behind the counter handed us two bags of popcorn and two canned drinks. We took it, heading to Felix's car to eat.

"What's funny?" I asked when I heard Felix chuckle. I turned to find him shaking his head as he smiled. He turned to me, before turning away.