Chapter Four

Gayle's voice bounced off the walls as she guided me down the abnormally large brick hall. She'd been rambling incessantly since Kieran left her alone with me.

About what?

I hadn't got a clue. I blocked her out around the time she somehow managed to wrangle me into a dress. If I wasn't so pissed about it, I'd actually be impressed.

But I was pissed, so I continued glaring at my bare feet as we walked.

She might have used her voodoo mind tricks to get me into a dress, but I refused to be manipulated into wearing heels. There was only so much I could take before becoming a physical threat to those around me. One look from me when she presented those devil shoes and she put them away.

Smart woman.

I had been so busy glaring at my feet that I almost missed the fact that Gayle had stopped in front of a large wooden door. I fisted my hands at my sides, forcing myself to stop fidgeting with the dress I wore, and glanced at Gayle.

"Can't you just give me a hint about what this is about?" I begged, looking at her with big, helpless eyes.

She smiled at me apologetically, her eyes glinting knowingly at my attempt to guilt her. "I'm sorry, honey. I can't."

I deflated and lost the look. "Seriously? Not even a tiny one?" I asked, my voice hinting at the frustration I felt.

She shook her head.

Damn, that usually worked.

I looked back at the door and bit my lip, trying not to give in to my need to flee. She gave me a sympathetic pat and knocked. Kieran opened the door seconds later, barely glancing at me as he motioned for us to enter. When I didn't immediately move Gayle took my elbow in her hand, her grasp firm, and gave me a little tug. I reluctantly let her drag me into the room with a sigh, casting the door a longing look

Taking a chance to take in the room I could tell that the place was much nicer than anything I had ever seen before. In person, at least. The entire room projected a silent energy that felt expensive and old, like it came from a different time.

Basically, it was what I'd imagine an antiquers wet dream would be like.

I couldn't stop myself from staring at the beautiful objects as we continued into the room, something new always catching my attention before the last could leave my view. It was only when Gale's voice jerked me from my state of awe, subtly instructing me to sit on a couch that sat in front of a coffee table in the center of the room, that I realized there was another person in the room. A man in his late forties sat directly across me, watching me with amusement that wrinkled the corner of his eyes. I automatically shut my mouth, tugging on the inside of my lip with my teeth as we studied each other. His long form relaxed against the back of the chair he sat in, his legs crossed in a casual confidence. Kieran came into view as he settled against a wall with his arms crossed to watch us, making me even more on edge.

Every muscle in my body wound tight with tension, waiting for the ball to drop as I eyed the men warily.

"Echo, I presume," he said, the older man's voice pulling my eyes back to him. "You can call me William."

"Right," I said, slowly drawing out the word as I realized I hadn't actually told anyone my name.

"How exactly do you know my name?" I narrowed my eyes at him with suspicion.

"Oh, there is a lot we know about you, Echo. Probably more than even you do," he said, as if that somehow wasn't the creepiest, most threatening thing you could say to someone.