Chapter Twenty-one

I'd been lying awake when the knocking started, the sun barely peeking through the curtains of my window. I knew it was coming, but I was hoping to avoid it for a little longer. I didn't move to answer the door, staying still in the comfort of my bed as I listened distantly to the rhythm of the knocking.

"Come on, Echo. Open the door," Alec yelled, his muffled voice edged with worry.

Last night I had left his place in hurry, insisting on having time alone. Alec didn't like it, but he gave me what I wanted, warning me that he'd be at my door as soon as the sun came up. I threatened to bring physical harm to him if he woke my ass up and he laughed, looking relieved that I was okay enough to threaten him.

Alasdair wasn't as willing to budge, following me as I left and ignoring my demands to be left alone. I tried to pull the traumatized card by jutting my lip out and making it quiver. Nothing. He was stone cold right then, not giving me anything to exploit. Realizing he wasn't going to be affected by my emotional manipulation tactics, I sighed.

I pointedly ignored him, passive aggressively telling him I wasn't pleased with his bodyguard bullshit as I angrily made my way towards the library. Reed's office was hidden in the back of the library and he practically never left the place. Without even really making a conscious decision, I found myself storming into it, demanding he tell me what I already knew.

I just needed someone to confirm what Alec told me.

"We were planning to tell you after you had some time to recover."

That was the first thing he said to me and the only thing I heard as I went numb, easing into the chair across from him slowly.

I shook the memory off and forced myself to get out of bed and put some cloths on. I started humming I Don't Fuck With You by Big Sean as I make my way over to open the door, slowly creating a good feeling to build off of. I smiled brightly at Alec and started rapping badly as I pull him in, shutting the door behind him. He stared at me like I'd lost a few screws and it pulled a genuine laugh from me. I continued to make my way over to the mirror in the bathroom, a little cheer to my step with the song clear in my mind.

"Echo? You okay, sweetheart?" He asked carefully, as if not to startle me in my fragile state of mind.

"Yeah, I'm good. Why?" I gave him a clueless smile and looked back to the mirror to pull the front of my shirt down slightly to show more cleavage.

He came behind me and touched my shoulder softly. "Babe, it's okay to be a mess if you need to be."

"Alec, I don't need to be anything. I'm a mess in many ways, but emotional is not one of them and I have no intentions of letting anyone or anything push me into that state." I smiled into the mirror. When he looked less than convinced my expression became serious.

I turned to face him. "I am fine," I said, assuring him with a finality in my voice. "Now, stop mothering me." I patted his arm and spun to direct my attention back to my reflection.

I tilted my head in the mirror and paused when the scar was revealed from behind the red locks of my hair. I stared at it for several seconds with a tightness in my chest before I quickly blinked out of it, trying to maintain my composure. I snuck a look at Alec, looking to see if he caught my slip, and he met my eyes with a small understanding smile. I swallowed and returned it halfheartedly before rushing out of the bathroom to change shirts. I was pulling on a identical T-shirt when Alec slowly walked into the room with sad eyes.

"Alec, if you don't get rid of those sad fucking puppy dog eyes I will refrain from ever speaking to you again," I threatened, completely serious.

His lips tilted up and his eyes squinted with laughter.