Chapter Nineteen

"You think I'm pretty?" He smirked, his eyes gleaming teasingly.

I rolled my eyes at him. "You sound exactly like a girl I sat next to in math." I paused, as if to remember her. "Hmm, yeah. I didn't like her either."

His hands shot up to cover his heart, wearing an offended look. "You wound me, little one," he professed theatrically.

I leaned back on my hands, trying to appear relaxed, as I gave him a plastic smile with narrowed eyes. "Well, that's just a happy coincidence."

He didn't look discouraged by my aversion to him at all. Instead, he looked to be almost enjoying himself as he leaned against the tree, donning a delightfully sinful smile on his face as he crossed his arms. "You should really be a lot nicer to me, you know." 

"And why's that?" I lifted an eyebrow, disbelieving.

"Because I'm the only one who can help you survive the change," he cockily stated.

Everything in me froze and my eyes shot to his, searching for any signs of deceit. I swallowed my hope uneasily and gave voice to my inner skepticism.

"And you just happen to know how to help me 'survive the change'? That's awfully convenient for you, don't you think?" I asked with a forced lightness in my voice.

"I don't just happen to know anything. I know things that no one else does because I have plans that require that of me. That said," he continued conversationally, concentrating his gaze at me, "I do intend to use a specific piece of information I've come across to ensure your life." His tone was genuine and matter of fact.

I kept myself from jumping at the offer, unsure if it was real and sure that wanted something. "And what would you get out of it?" I questioned, searching for his motive.

"Well, that's simple. You'll owe me," he declared as if it was obvious.

I stared blankly at him, unconvinced.

"You'll be something extraordinary with matching set of equally extraordinary powers, Echo. To have someone with that kind of power owing me? Well, that's just not something I can pass up," he explained.

My defences went up at that, the answer reminding me of what I'd learned about the last one of my kind who had been killed by a vampire. "Why would you want something powerful to owe you when you can be the powerful thing? Isn't that why you bit me?" I said, setting him with an angry glare.

"Oh, please. You're still angry about that? I said it was necessary and it was. I didn't bite you for your power because, despite the rumours, nothing could hold that kind of power unless it was built to carry it," he said, as if it was absurd.

"Then why was it so necessary to bite me?" I demanded, still unconvinced.

"Now, I can't tell you all my secrets, little one. This is a strategic game I'm playing, and you just happen to be part of it. All you need to know is that it's in my best interest that you live," he affirmed lightly.

"So you expect me to believe that you'd risk your life to save me simply so I would owe you if I lived?" I asked dubiously.

"No, I risked my life so I could create a disruption in the Courts and you'll owe me when you live," he corrected.

"A disruption? How would I be a disruption?" My confusion, no doubt, clear on my face as well in my tone.

"Because they wouldn't be able to control you. And what they can't control, they fear. It would cause quite the commotion and I need that kind of distraction," he said simply with a shrug of his shoulder.