The Phantom Player

Part 1: Chapter 8 

Blocked. Blocked. Blocked.

It was the last set and Karasuno was not any closer to winning the match. At this point, Karasuno's Boys' volleyball players were getting frustrated at the fact they were constantly being blocked by the basketball players. You were beyond baffled at the fact how could the volleyball team who specializes in volleyball were loosing against the basketball team.

The current score is 5-8.

You were sitting on the bench as the assistant coach now rather being out there on the court as the libero. Your team needs you to come out with a strategy fast or else the change of winning this match is close to zero. You watched the match with focused (e/c) eyes going on before you as you try to figure out what the basketball team's game play once more.

Keishin glanced at you, thinking of asking for a time out so that he could discussed with the players on how they can change their game play. However when he saw the concentrated look on your face, he calmed down and focused on the match once more. He need not worry about the team nor you, after all you were the best of the best.

'What is it about the basketball players that made them so hard to beat? The way how they play volleyball does not show that they are professional volleyball players like Kageyama or Daichi. So, what is that I can't seem to figure out?' You thought as your eyes followed each and everyone of the players.

You observed each player individually, assessing their power, stamina, game sense, jumping, technique and speed. Their statistics seemed below average as compared to a volleyball player. Your (e/c) eyes shift from player to player until it landed on a certain light blue-haired basketball player.

You leaned forward as your eyes focused on Tetsuya Kuroko. There was something about this player that set him apart from his teammates. The first year is from your class and so far from your impression, Kuroko is a quiet and reserved boy. It is as though he does not have a presence.

That's it! Your eyes widen as you finally figured out why your team was struggling against the basketball team. The answer was simply, it has been in front of your eyes the entire time. You mentally slapped yourself for not noticing it earlier.

The reason your team was loosing is because of Kuroko. Kuroko lacks a presence which means during games, he is usually invisible on the court. With his lack of presence, his team's opponents focused on the other players instead of Kuroko. He used this to his advantage with his passes, in this case receives by directing the ball away from him to his teammates so fast that no one can focus their attention on him.

The reason you were able to notice Kuroko despite his lack of presence was because you have a knack of noticing people no matter how subtle they tried to be. That explains why when you met Kuroko for the first time and asked him for a pencil, surprise was written all over his face at the fact that someone actually noticed him. It also explained why whenever you mentioned Kuroko to your classmates, they will give you a confused look.

You quickly turned to your brother and said. "Nii-chan, quick! Call for a time out! I figured out the basketball team's secret."

Keishin immediately called for a time out. The whistle beeped, indicating that the volleyball team had called for a time out. Your friends turned to you with confused/curious looks on their faces, wondering if you had figured something out.

As the volleyball players approached you, they were surprised with the joyous look on your face. Well, you felt happy at the fact that you finally figured out their secret and that your friends might have a chance of winning.