Afraid

I sat quietly in my room. My mind spun. My head ached. My hands were still shaky. I couldn't believe what I had just seen. I didn't want to believe it. I absolutely couldn't stand it. It was if every nightmare I ever experienced had just come to life. Like Halloween was becoming a reality and horror movies were a part of a regular day.

Vampires were real. They were real. I saw one firsthand. The vampire was someone I had happened to notice around town. I didn't know him personally, but I had seen him hanging out with Sheriff Forbes a lot. I had also seen him thoroughly involved with many of the founding family members, which was ironic because of the vampire myths. I knew of the stories, and I figured the first people a vampire would want to avoid were the founding families.

I had seen him in the alleyway next to the Mystic Grill. I had been quiet, which is how I always tended to be. I kept to myself and never was noticed in school. The girls around me didn't know my name, nor did they care to, and I was practically invisible. That's why the moment I saw the vampire, pressing a body up against the brick wall of the Mystic Grill, his mouth tearing apart the person's neck, crimson red blood dripping down the side of his jaw, I held my breath and inched away. I made sure I was a solid block away before I sprinted home. I had only gone to the Grill to pick up some dinner for myself, and after the moment I experienced, I had lost my appetite no sooner than I began to regret the decision to leave my house.

To say I was stunned would be an understatement. I was nothing more than terrified. But I was also thankful that I reacted so cautiously. He hadn't heard me, and if he did, I would be laying dead on the pavement right now. The thought sent my mind into a spinning tornado. The possibilities of 'what ifs' ran through my head and spun up my emotions. After arriving home fifteen minutes ago, I still hadn't stopped crying. I was beyond any rational thought.

When my bedroom window swung open, the shudders slamming into the wall with a powerful snap, I nearly jumped three feet into the air. Stepping quickly off my bed, I turned my attention to the now open window. A rush of wind suddenly burst into my room, ruffling my clothes and bringing in a rather large crow. It was perched on the windowsill, its beady little eyes staring me down. I began to swing my arms, trying to get it to fly away.

"Shoo! Shoo! Get out of here!"

After much effort on my part, the bird finally flapped its wings and flew off in the other direction. I quickly shut the windows, making sure to lock them right before going towards my bathroom to turn off the light before I went to bed. As I walked, an unnecessary chill made its way up my back, and deep down inside, I knew something was wrong. Trusting my gut, I slowly began to turn, and my eyes met a pair of icy blue ones in return. My mouth fell open in a silent scream as he rose from his perch on my bed. My heart began to pound in my ears as I rushed towards my bedroom door, trying to get away. But I wasn't fast enough. The moment my fingers wrapped around the handle and began to pull it open, a hand shoved it closed, keeping it shut with a matter of brute strength. I struggled to pull against it, desperate to escape, but he leaned over me, his lips close to my right ear as his hot breath fanned across the side of my face. I began to tremble, pressing myself against the door as flat as possible so that I wouldn't be any closer to him than I had to be. He stood behind me, his chest inches from touching my back, and his left hand still pressed flat against the door. My breathing came out in rapid pants. My hands were sweating. My heart was about to explode. All he did was stand there, his body towering well over mine. In a brief moment, I heard him take a breath, seeming like he was about to say something.

"You're afraid of me." He spoke, his deep voice sending a rush of goosebumps up my arms. When I didn't respond, he continued. "You interrupted my dinner tonight and didn't even have the decency to apologize? Naughty girl."

I pressed my cheek further against the cool wood of the door. My eyes were squeezed shut and I refused to look at him.

"How did you get in?" I whispered under my breath, my voice shaking heavily.

"I was invited in a few weeks ago. I was doing a few errands for Mrs. Lockwood and your lovely mother had some things that she needed." He leaned in even closer, this time, putting his right hand on the other side of me. I was trapped. "Little did I know, her nosey daughter would catch me mid-feed a few weeks later."

"I-I didn't know." I stammered. "I just heard noises coming from the alley. I thought it was a coyote."

"I'm far from a little coyote, cupcake."

"I'm sorry." I replied, keeping my eyes glued shut. "I'm so sorry. I promise I won't tell anyone. I promise I'll keep what I saw a secret, just please don't kill me."

"If I wanted you dead, you'd already be dead." He mused, taking another step forward and pressing his chest flat against my back, closing in on me. "No, what I plan to do to you will bring me much more joy than if I were to kill you."

"Please." I begged, my body trembling uncontrollably. "Please don't hurt me."

"Oh I won't hurt you, cupcake. I promise what I have in store for you will be pleasurable for us both." He suddenly lifted his right hand off of the door and grasped my chin, forcing me to look him in the eyes. I noticed his pupils growing smaller, and in an instant, I was mesmerized, stuck on his intent gaze. "Don't be afraid. You saw me tonight feeding on someone. When you met me, you were instantly attracted. I walked you home and the two of us agreed to see each other again. We planned a date for Saturday. The two of us would meet at the Mystic Grill for dinner and dessert and you are nervous but excited. You know what I am. You know what I do. But you are not afraid. You do not fear me, for you have quickly learned to accept me for who I am, faults and all. When I leave, you will forget I was ever here. You will go to bed, and dream about our date. Tonight, I want you to dream of Damon Salvatore."

The minute he finished speaking, I blinked and he was gone. I stood stunned for a moment, unsure of what happened and why I was standing by my bedroom door. Shrugging my shoulders, I headed to bed, pulling back the covers and crawling underneath the sheets. As I closed my eyes for the night, my mind drifted to the man I met at the Mystic Grill, the man I had a date with, the man I felt an extreme attraction to, despite the fact that he was a vampire. Tonight, I would dream of Damon Salvatore.

-

I hope you all enjoyed! Don't forget to follow my Instagram (@ivoryconfessions) to see new promos for all of my books and find out about the next chapters before they're posted! Love you all!
xx lavender baby 💋