Chapter 1: A Prankster in the Making

Hermione Granger was crying. She had done what she thought was right. Sirius Black could have jinxed the broom in some way. She had to talk to McGonagall about it. For Harry's safety! But that wasn't even the worst of it. Now, Harry and Ron weren't talking to her because Crookshanks supposedly ate Ron's rat. She had known Ron for three years and in that time all Ron did was complain about that stupid rat! And of course, Harry took Ron's side, like always. They were supposed to be friends. Couldn't they just believe her? Forgive her?

At this point, Hermione couldn't even stand to be in the Common Room any more. Ron and Harry might be her best friends, but if she was being honest with herself, Ron and Harry were her only friends. It was like first year all over again. She was alone, completely alone.

The only bright side of her newfound feud with Harry and Ron was that it presented more time for her studies. She was taking more classes than anyone else in her year. Or the school for that matter. Trying to keep up with all the classes she was taking was slowly chipping away at her. She wasn't sure how much longer she could keep up with this.

Sighing, Hermione turned the faucet and splashed water over her face, hoping to wash away the tear stains on her face. Her eyes were still red, but she could probably make it to Gryffindor Tower without anyone questioning her. Hopefully, she wouldn't run into Lavender and Parvati, knowing they would talk about her behind her back if they saw her like this. Although, they probably already were talking about her behind her back.

Carefully, she opened the bathroom door and looked around. No one was there. Taking a deep breath, she started the walk to Gryffindor Tower. She was so wrapped up in her mind, that she didn't even hear the voices calling after her. From seemingly nowhere, Fred and George appeared at her side. She didn't want to talk to them. They would probably take Ron's side, too. They were his brothers after all.

"You alright there, Granger?" asked George.

"Your eyes are all red," interjected Fred, "and we've been calling your name for a while now." Hermione rubbed her face tiredly.

"I just have a lot on my mind," she informed them.

"You know Harry and Ron will come around eventually," George continued. Hermione groaned inwardly. Tactfulness seemed to be a quality the Weasley family was missing.

"Yeah, they're probably failing all their classes without you, Granger." Hermione frowned. She didn't want to just be their friend for the sake of helping them with their classes. She was more than that. She knew Fred probably meant it jokingly, but anger and annoyance still surged through her.

George seemed to have noticed her discomfort. "Would you like to come with us, Hermione?"

"What are you doing?" she asked skeptically.

"Oh, this and that," Fred answered.

"Nothing against the rules, of course-"

"-Certainly, nothing that will land us detention-"

"-and if it did, it would be completely justified-"

"-because he's an utter git." She raised an eyebrow at them, giving them an expectant look.

"We've decided it's about time Malfoy learned a thing or two about treating people right," Fred explained.

"He's been on Harry all year about him passing out from that dementor," George continued.

"So, we thought we'd help Harry out a little bit."

"What are you going to do?" Hermione asked curiously. She shouldn't have asked that. They were going to tell her and it was going to break the rules and she would have to tell McGonagall about it.