Chapter 6: The Goblet of Fire

"There is a reason those curses are unforgivable," Hermione stated after exiting Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. She did not think it was right for Moody to show those curses in class. And the way Neville was looking at the spider during the Cruciatus Curse. He was completely horrified. How could a professor do such a thing?

"But Moody's right, isn't he?" Ron answered. "We have to be aware of the curses. Fred and George were right, weren't they? He really knows his stuff..."

Frustrated, Hermione huffed. There was something about Moody that just seemed off. "I'll see you later, I'm going to-"

"The library," finished Harry and Ron for her. She didn't answer. They were right. She was going to go to the library.

Currently, she was working to find whatever information she could on house elf slavery. She firmly believed that the house elves needed to be saved. Just because everyone around her told her it was nothing, not a problem, didn't mean it wasn't one. Even though a society claimed that something was alright didn't mean that it was.

Over the years, she must have read Hogwarts, A History about a dozen times. Never once had it mentioned that house elves worked at the castle. She was completely horrified when she had learned of their state of slavery at the Quidditch World Cup. She was certain that the elves wanted to be freed and she was going to do all she could to ensure this. Dobby had wanted to be freed, wouldn't the others, too?

Then an idea formed in Hermione's mind. She just needed to raise awareness to the issue. She could make badges and sell them. Surely, her friends and the rest of the student body would be more than willing to support the cause. (Everyone except Malfoy, that was. She couldn't see Malfoy ever caring about anything of real value.)

Once the idea was in her head, it wouldn't leave. She had to do something to help those poor house elves. She would form a club and call it Stop the Outrageous Abuse of Our Fellow Magical Creatures and Campaign for a Change in Their Legal Status. The S.O.A.O.F.M.C.C.C.T.L.E.S. No, that was too long, most people would probably forget what it was. Also, it probably wouldn't fit on the badges.

She thought for a moment. S.P.E.W., she decided. The Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare. It was perfect.

-----

Fred Weasley was furious. How could he and George have been so stupid! George was certain it was an honest mistake, but Fred didn't agree. Bagman had done this on purpose. George was sure that if they just sent a letter to Bagman, that this whole thing would be cleared up immediately.

"He probably didn't mean to pay us in Leprechaun gold," George said for the third time in an hour. "It must have been a mistake."

"I hate it when Hermione's right," Fred murmured in reply. Oh yes, he was mad at her, too. She always had to be right. Why hadn't he just listened to her? Why did they place that stupid bet? That was their entire life savings, everything they had. They'd have to start over now.

They sat down in the Common Room, in the corner, hunched over a piece of parchment. While Fred didn't agree that it was an accident, a slip of the mind, that Bagman paid them in vanishing gold, he did agree that they needed to send a letter. They had won that bet fair and square. Bagman owed them real money.

Dear Mr. Bagman,

At the Quidditch World Cup, as we are sure you remember, we entered a bet against you for 37 Galleons, 15 Sickles, 3 Knuts, and a fake wand (which you said held the price of 5 Sickles). We bet that Ireland would win the Match, but that Krum would catch the Snitch. As we are sure you remember, Ireland did win and Krum was the one to catch the Snitch. However, instead of paying in real Galleons, you paid us in Leprechaun gold, which we are sure you remember disappears-