Chapter 19: To Rid Hogwarts of Dolores Umbridge

"You'd have thought that it would have been quieter with the Weasleys twins gone," commented Professor Sprout to Professors McGonagall, Snape, and Flitwick.

"They did offer discounts to anyone who said they would rid Hogwarts of her. Seems the students have taken that seriously," Flitwick returned.

"I remember when those boys told me they wanted to run a joke shop. I thought they were mad. I still think they're mad," McGonagall said thoughtfully. "Filius, are you going get rid of the portable swamp?" He shrugged.

"I thought Dolores would rather enjoy working with it," Flitwick answered. "Besides, it's not really a charm is it?" The company chuckled at that. Ever since Umbridge had issued that Educational Decree, they had made jokes about it. Why do anything unnecessary when Umbridge told them they could only work with their own subject?

"You're awfully quiet this evening, Severus," Sprout observed.

"I'm just solidifying the memory," he answered slowly. "It was a nice change having the Weasleys target someone else."

"Someone who actually deserved it," Flitwick added with a chuckle.

Just then, the door to the teacher's lounge boomed open. Dolores Umbridge entered in all her glory. She was wearing pink again. McGonagall wondered if she knew there were other colors in the world. "Hem, hem," she cleared her throat. They all hated it when she did that. "Filius," she continued in that high-pitched voice of hers, "I require your assistance upstairs. Argus was unable to rid the corridor of the swamp."

"I already tried everything I could, Dolores," Flitwick answered her. "I'm afraid I cannot help you." She looked a little put out by his words.

"Perhaps you could try once more," she all but demanded. He hesitated for a moment like he was thinking of defying her. But she had already made it quite clear where the professors stood if they defied her. To defy Dolores Umbridge was to defy the Ministry of Magic. That was not a price they could pay.

Flitwick nodded and left the room.

The tension in the room was palpable. No one trusted Umbridge or even liked her. They forced civility with her because they had to. "I suppose you all should say your 'goodbyes' to the half-giant, he won't be staying here much longer."

"What?" said Sprout in surprise.

"As headmistress it is my duty to escort any unsatisfactory teachers from the premises. It is my job to see that all student are given the education they require. They are failing to do so with the half-breed."

McGonagall stood up then and faced her. "You are not headmistress here," she said. "You may be by law, Dolores. But there is a reason you cannot enter the headmaster's office. You don't deserve the title. Hagrid has worked for this school for years, this is his home. Just because you are afraid of him does not give you the right to sack him!"

"I have every right, Minerva," said Umbridge smugly. "And you will hold your tongue. I do not have to remind you what defying me would mean for you."

"My words aren't against the Ministry, they are against you. If you even understood what it meant to be an educator, a real professor, you wouldn't have it in you to give those vile quills to the students in detention."

"Minerva," Snape warned quietly.

"Say your goodbyes," Umbridge repeated. "Hagrid won't be at Hogwarts much longer." Umbridge turned and left the room then.

"Neither will you," muttered McGonagall once she had gone.

-----

Draco Malfoy was enjoying Umbridge's reigning in Hogwarts too much. Certainly, he hated the woman. He couldn't imagine anyone actually caring for the toad. But in her time at Hogwarts, she had managed to rid the school of Dumbledore. And not only that, but she was probably going to get rid of the half-giant soon, too. But perhaps the thing he liked the most about her was the fact that he could do whatever he wanted. She had given the power to take away points from other students as well as give detention. Draco Malfoy ruled the school and it was all thanks to Professor Umbridge.