Chapter 24: The Fall of the Ministry of Magic

"Dumbledore would be happy there was a little more love in the world," McGonagall's words echoed around Remus. The woman was right, of course, Dumbledore would be more intrigued by Remus' love life than his own death. It still surprised him that Snape was the one who killed Dumbledore. Albus had trusted him thoroughly, even when the others wouldn't have.

Remus watched Tonks during Dumbledore's funeral. She deserved better than him. She deserved someone young, someone rich, someone who couldn't accidentally kill her. But then her Patronus kept dancing around in his mind. She was completely in love with him, so much so that her Patronus changed to his. He had only heard stories of this happening, he never really thought he would see it, much less about himself.

She glanced over at him and smiled softly before turning her eyes back to the sad scene. He took a deep breath. He couldn't deny his feelings anymore and she loved him. And, he really didn't expect to live through a second war. His resolve to stay away from her completely disappeared.

After the service, Remus made his way to where she was sitting. Without speaking, he held his hand out to her. Together they walked around the grounds of Hogwarts in silence. "Remus-" she started. He pulled her along a little bit faster.

When they reached the Whomping Willow, they stopped. Remus stunned the tree so that it wouldn't attack them while they talked. He turned to her. "Remus," she said, "what's going on?"

He looked at the tree while he spoke. "Dumbledore had that tree planted so I wouldn't accidentally attack someone on the full moon." He looked back at her. "You were right when you said that I do have feelings for you. Have for quite sometime. I can't promise you a great life, Nymphadora Tonks. You'll be an outcast because of me. I can't give you the life you deserve. I-"

"I don't care," she insisted. "I don't care about any of that."

"I know," he said. "I know. And-and I give up. You win. I'm all yours." He knelt down to the ground. Tears were forming in her eyes. "Marry me, Nymphadora Tonks." A wide smiled broke out on her face. She nodded quickly.

"Yes. Yes, of course, I will!" She pulled him up, level to her and kissed him.

Remus wished he could give Tonks everything she deserved. He knew he couldn't. Nut he could give her happiness for a little while before the war came.

"I love you," she whispered in his ear while they embraced.

And it was the easiest thing in the world to reply, "I love you, too."

-----

Hermione was crying when she appeared at Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes after closing. Fred strode quickly over to her and embraced her tightly. Her determination broke and tears fell from her eyes uncontrollably. Fred wasn't sure what to say to his girlfriend. He had offered to go with her so that she wouldn't have to go through this alone, but she told him not to.

Fred took hand her and led her up to his and George's flat. She sat down on the sofa with while he made a cup of tea. "They looked happy," Hermione said quietly. Fred had to strain to hear her. "Like they hadn't worried in a long time." Fred heard what she wasn't saying. She felt as though her parents' lives were better without her because they wouldn't have to worry about her.

Fred handed her the cup of tea, which she slipped at absentmindedly. His arm wrapped around her gently. "We'll go after them when this is all over," he promised. "I've always wanted to see Australia." She nodded in reply. Fred pressed a kiss to her cheek, wanting desperately to take the pain away from her.

"I love you," he reminded her.

"I love you," she answered mechanically. Fred sighed, unsure how to help.