Chapter 7: Injustice and Justice

"C'mon, Granger," said Fred as Hermione fiddled with the breakfast food on her plate with her fork. "It's Harry and Ron. They'll get over this."

"It's been a week," Hermione refuted. "They've barely said a word to each other. We've always had Harry's back, through everything. I just don't see why he's acting like this."

"Well, it's obvious, isn't it?" George said, surprised that Hermione, of all people, hadn't figured this out yet.

"What?"

"Ron's jealous," Fred and George said together.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Bill was head boy and firstborn-" said Fred.

"Charlie was a prefect and Quidditch Captain-" continued George.

"Percy was head boy, top of his class, and now works in the Ministry-"

"And George and me are the best looking Weasleys and we pull a lot of focus-"

"And Ginny's the youngest and the only girl."

"So?" Hermione said, confused on why they felt the need to spell out their entire family for her.

"So," Fred answered, "what does that leave Ron? To be Harry Potter's best friend? Hermione, he was with you and Harry first year, even sacrificed himself on a chessboard to help you guys. Second year, he followed spiders into the Forbidden Forest to clear Hagrid's name-"

"Which actually shows why he's in Gryffindor. Everyone knows how he really hates spiders-"

"-and get him out of Azkaban. He was with Harry in the Chamber of Secrets. Third year his leg got injured by Sirius Black before finding out that the man was innocent all along."

"Thing is," George went on, "Ron's been with Harry through everything, but Harry always gets the recognition. And with the family he's got, he doesn't get a lot of attention in the first place. Think of what was offered to the winner of the Tournament. Eternal glory."

"Harry already has that, remember? Ron probably thought that it was his turn. That's why he was so hurt that Harry didn't tell him. He wanted that chance, too."

Hermione stared at Fred and George for a moment in awe. They certainly understood their brother far more than she realized. And, upon reflection, they were right. Ron just wanted the chance to be known and uplifted by others. He was jealous of his best friend.

In the past week, Hermione had continued to sit with Fred and George at the breakfast table. Sometimes, Harry would join them. Ron usually sat with Dean and Seamus, but if Harry wasn't there, he would sit with Hermione. Generally, the two staggered their time so that they wouldn't be at breakfast at the same time.

All the while, Hermione remained neutral. She was thankful that the two hadn't demanded her pick a side. Honestly, she didn't know if she could. They both were being moronic about the whole thing. Ron was jealous and mad at Harry because of the Tournament, Harry was just mad at Ron for being mad at him. It was idiotic how petty they both were being.

But if they had given her an ultimatum, she would have chosen Fred and George. They, unlike Harry and Ron, were not fighting. Sure, the pranksters aggravated her and made-fun-of her for believing in elf liberation, but they were still her friends. And if she were to lose Harry and Ron again, she knew she would not be completely alone.

"I just want this to end," she told them.

"Just give them time," George said. "Ron'll come around."

Hermione tried to remain optimistic, but it was hard. By lunch, Hermione was frustrated over the whole situation all over again. After lunch, Harry and Hermione were waiting outside of the Potions' room. The Slytherins were wearing large pins that said: Support Cedric Diggory-the REAL Hogwarts Champion!