Chapter 8: The Yule Ball

Talk of the Yule Ball spread rapidly throughout Hogwarts. Everyone was buzzing with the news. Who was going to be taking whom, what that would mean for each individual. For days Lee Jordan complained to Fred and George about finding the perfect woman to go with. It seemed ages before he found the courage to ask Alicia.

Fred knew just who he wanted to ask: Hermione Granger. He wouldn't have to worry about her wondering if he liked her, they'd go as good friends, nothing more. Conversation was never amiss whenever Hermione was around, so there would be no awkward silences between them. Besides, Harry and Ron probably wouldn't think of her until the last moment. It was perfect. He would ask Hermione Granger.

But before Fred could find the time to ask Hermione, he had to deal with his brother. Why George was a Gryffindor, Fred wanted to know. His twin brother cowered in the face of Angelina. Fred knew George wanted to go with the woman, but just couldn't seem to form his words when he was around her. Of course, George hadn't said anything on the subject, but Fred knew better. He was pile of mud whenever Angelina was around, and Fred, as a good brother, knew that he would have to help him out.

One evening, Fred and George sat down next to Ron, Harry, and Hermione in the Gryffindor Common Room. "Ron, can we borrow Pigwidgeon?" Fred was tired of this. They needed to confront Bagman to his face. That was the only way they were ever going to get their money.

"No, he's off delivering a letter. Why?"

"Because George wants to invite him to the ball," Fred muttered sarcastically. Although, at this rate, George would have to take the bloody owl.

"Because we want to send a letter, you stupid great prat," George said. They were both in a terrible mood. This tension with Bagman seemed to have been slowly killing them.

"Who d'you two keep writing to?" Ron wanted to know.

"Nose out, Ron," Fred warned him. "So...you lot got dates for the ball yet?" He glanced over at Hermione for a moment.

"Nope," Ron said for them all.

"Well, you'd better hurry up, mate, or all the good ones will be gone."

"Who're you going with then?" said Ron. Fred hesitated for a moment. He could ask her right then. At that moment. He would take Hermione to the ball, they'd have a grand time, and a great memory they'd remember for years to come. But then he looked at George. The poor idiot was never going to ask Angelina himself. He needed help.

"Angelina," Fred stated without a hint of embarrassment. He could feel George staring at him in surprise.

"What?" Ron said, taken aback. "You've already asked her?"

"Good point," Fred murmured. He turned his head and called across the Common Room. "Oi! Angelina!"

Angelina, at the time, was conversing with Katie Bell near the fire. She glanced over at Fred, annoyance written across her face. She was not pleased with the interruption. "What?" she yelled back.

"Want to come to the ball with me?" Angelina looked at him in surprise.

"All right then," she returned. She was smiling when she turned back to her conversation.

"See, peice of cake," Fred told Harry and Ron. Fred stood up, yawning.

"We'd better use a school owl, then, George, come on..." As Fred and George walked out of the Gryffindor Common Room, Fred looked down at Hermione. She staring determinedly at the book in her lap. Just as well. If they had gone together, people might have suspected they were together or something. It was better this way.