Before They Met

Amber burst through the door, slamming it behind her, and screamed in frustration as she shoved her backpack into the cupboard. "Tough day?"

Maylene's calm voice came from the kitchen, and Amber sighed before slumping down onto a stool. "They were mocking Cora. Again! So I got really angry and was about to beat them up and..."

Maylene walked into the living room and sat down, her pink hair messy from training. "And?" She asked, curios and slightly nervous.

"And I got in control of my anger and left..." Amber mumbled.

Maylene smiled at this, Amber was improving her control of her anger. Cora, hearing her name, walked in, and nuzzled her red and purple accented body against Amber. Cora had different coloration as a Sylveon, and Amber was often made fun of for having her. Sighing, Amber got up and changed into her normal clothes- a grey jacket with white fur hood, a black shirt and a light grey skirt, as well as some black shoes.

"Maylene, I'm going out into the fields to spar with Ferran, I'll be back by 4:30!" Good, Amber thought, that gave her an hour to get out her anger. "Okay, but make sure Cora comes so she can heal you guys!"

It was no strange thing for both Ferran the Riolu and Amber to limp home, exhausted and injured, when they sparred full out, so Maylene made the rule they had to take Cora to heal them. "Be safe!" She called as Amber dashed out of their small house, the Pokemon following.

Once they found a empty, open field they normally practiced in, Ferran and Amber settled into bent positions and Cora sat down, calling out a piercing cry to symbolize the start of the match. The two, although being best friends, fought all out every time, only stopping when one couldn't continue. Despite being a Riolu, Ferran was the strongest fighter she knew. Riolu began to use Agility, and Quick Attack, moving fast to make its attacks hard to dodge. Amber smiled and countered by jumping high into the air whenever he tried to strike, sometimes getting hit hard, and sometimes landing a kick to the face on Ferran.

"Ferran, elemental attacks are allowed! The more challenge the better!" As Amber shouted this over the heat of the battle, Riolu slowed down and fired an Aura Sphere at Amber. Amber smiled and ducked by rolling under, getting up and running at Ferran. As the two battled, Ferran unleashed Close Combat, and the two were a blur of dodges, punches and kicks. Amber broke away to give a low, sweeping kick to knock Ferran off his feet, to which Ferran responded with a Dragon Pulse. The energy burned and left smoking patches of skin on Amber's body, to which she winced and gave a strong punch to Ferran's jaw, knocking him to the side. Amber was then knocked into the sky without warning from a Sky Uppercut, landing heavily on the ground a few steps away.

Standing up, Amber noticed the gashes down her legs, and sighed. More scars. Amber and Ferran then began to punch and block, Ferran using Fire, Ice and Thunder Punches to pack an extra 'punch'. Ferran was tiring, but Amber was holding up fine, used to training this hard and taking the pain of elemental attacks. Changing strategies, Ferran gave a Low Sweep and then a High Jump Kick. Amber blocked the Brick Break, and one of the Dual Punches, all while landing strong blows of her own. Blaze Kick burned her arms, and there were deep gashes from the spikes on Riolu's hands. Ferran was tiring.

In a last ditch effort, he lashed out in Frustration, but Amber topped him with a strong, spin kick to the chest.

Amber looked over herself, smirking at the well earned victory, and noticed all the gashes dripping blood, and the bruises marking her pale skin. There were singed patches of skin from burning attacks. Cora ran over and touched her feelers to the wounds, the burns stopped singing for now, and the cuts closed, leaving marks that would fade or scar.

After healing Riolu, the two meditated, Riolu using Calm Mind. Setting off for home, Maylene took one look at Amber's state and sighed. "You took a beating. But from the look on your face, you still won. You and Ferran must have fought hard, good job!"

Grabbing a brush, Amber began to groom Cora and Ferran, a habit she'd had developed. She couldn't stand it if they were dirty. "Welp, improve got a challenger. I'll be back in an hour, be good!" Maylene kissed Amber on her forehead and walked out, leaving Amber alone with her Pokemon.

Amber looked down at her Pokemon, "I can't wait until we go on our journey tomorrow. We're gonna be the best Pokemon Trainers ever!" She grinned. Her Pokemon simply grinned back at her.