Chapter 5

"Okay, I have to admit. This outfit is nice, and comfortable!" Groaned Amber.

"See, I knew you'd like it!"

The two girls were walking along the sunny route from Viridian City to Pewter City. They were talking about Pokemon, and the Cassidy began on Contests. "Wait, what even are contests?"
Amber was incredibly confused, she'd never heard of them where she lived.

"Well, they are basically Pokemon shows. There's the presentation segment, the Moves segment, the Battle segment and the Talent segment. You can enter multiple Pokemon or one, and there is different ranks. Presentation is how well you and your Pokemon are presented, nice clothes, grooming... Moves is where you show off the Pokemon's moves, the judges love it if you do something special there.... The Battle is a typical Pokemon battle, and the talent but is where you and your Pokemon together present some talent. It's really fun, although..." Cassidy explained.

Amber had already gotten bored. It all sounded so tame, and all proper. Uh, why would she want to do that, when she could battle and train her Pokemon? "You probably aren't interested. You should at least try one though." Suddenly, Amber pulled Cassidy into a bush and called out Cora.

"Stay quiet and watch!" Amber hissed, and to Cassidy's amazement, a tiny Pokemon scuttled out in front of a bush. It was an incredibly small, and uncoordinated Nidoran Male, but he was a pure black with pink-purple eyes.

"Shadow Pokemon." Amber breathed, and gripped Cassidy's arm.

It skittered after a Rattata, much bigger than it, and was pushed over. This happened as it approached other Pokemon, leaving sadder and sadder as it was turned away for being too small, or that difference of being a Shadow Pokemon. It was heartbreaking for the two Pokemon lovers in the bush. Finally, Amber reached into her bag and pulled out an Oran berry, her and Cora leaving the bush towards the skittish Pokemon. As the Pokemon looked up, startled, Amber's voice took on a soft tone.

"It's alright, we won't hurt you. You don't have to be alone anymore. I know what it feels like to be cast out, so does Cora. We want to help. Here, eat."

The Pokemon neared, and began to snack on the Oran berry, as Amber giggled. After it finished, the shy Pokemon found a burst of courage and, being small, jumped onto Amber's shoulder.
"I think I'll call you Kage, the Japanese word for shadow."

Cassidy came out and the two continued on to Pewter City, the first city with a gym. "So, when we get there, I'm gonna need to train my Pokemon and heals, they are nowhere near strong enough, and I'll need to practice their new moves, and I haven't thought in a while. I wonder if there'll be anything to draw. And-" Amber sighed and face planted. "Sorry, I'm ranting."

The two continued along, and Cassidy noticed Amber had habits of fiddling with her hair, fingers and jewelry. "Hey, look!" Cassidy called. She pointed straight up ahead, at a sign, but Amber couldn't read it. She must have been frowning at the sign, because Cassidy stopped and turned to her. "Can't you read that?"

"N-no, not really..." Amber hated admitting weaknesses.

Cassidy sighed. "You need long distance reading glasses. You should buy some sometime. But it says, in 2ks we'll be at Pewter City!"

Sighing, Amber released Star and River, Kage, Cora and Ferran already being out. Cassidy did the same with her Pokemon, and they walked together in a large mob. Finally, they could see Pewter City.

"I need to heal my Pokemon!" Amber stated.

"Well, you go on ahead. I'm going to the PokeMart to buy more supplies." Cassidy replied, already walking off, "I'll meet you in the Center's Lobby."

Amber stared after her with curious turquoise eyes, before shrugging and heading off to the Pokemon Center.

With Cassidy, she was simply walking to the PokeMart. When she entered, her and her Pokemon stared at the chaos that was happening right in front of them with surprise. People were practically rioting over food and gifts. But, not anything Pokemon related, thankfully.

Rolling her crimson-brown eyes, the brunette made her way over to the clerk, seeing him watching the riot with amusement, barely holding in a laugh. "Sir?"

The man turned his dark-green eyes towards his newest customer, seemingly surprised, "Yes? Can I help you?"

"Yes you can, actually. I'm here to buy as many Pokeballs and items I can." Cassidy answered, staring rather coldly at the man.

She really didn't like people. It's why she only hung out with Dawn and her grandfather. Well, Amber might as well be added to the growing list too, at this point.

"Well, we only have a few things in stock, since new trainers have been permitted to buy high-up items."

"Then what do you have?"

"A few Super and Hyper Potions, a few Human and Pokemon First Aid, a couple Poke Balls, some Great Balls, three Cherish Balls and two Friend Balls." The man answered.

"I'll take everything."

The clerk sputtered, "B-But do you know how much-" He is given a gold card, "That should do it, shouldn't it?"

Sighing, the man rung everything up. Grabbing the bags, Cassidy made her way out of the store, then looked into the bag. The poor guy didn't know the meaning of 'few'. It's more like fifteen Super and Hyper Potions.

"Oh well. That's more stuff for us." She shrugged before leaving towards the Pokemon Center with Sora, Chara, and Raiden following after her.

----