Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine
The bright and shiny silver key that's situation stands as marked up and well-used stays laid in the palm of my hand as I contemplate whether or not I use it. It's the key that once symbolised trust but now sticks as a leftover of the past. I sigh, stuffing it back into the pocket of my worn denim jeans, it's always with me. It's almost as if I kept the key as a souvenir of our relationship, a way of making sure the memories will never die. I remember when he gave me the key, it was Christmas, I had already opened the three presents before the last one. It was a small black and silver striped box, it had a white bow wrapped around it. I opened it, this one being the most exciting gift by far and in it was the shiny key, bright and new, reflective enough for me to do my hair in the morning. I took it into my hand and looked up at him with a beaming smile. I was so happy. But the memory soon fades and I come back to reality, knocking on the door with my usual three tap knock. Soon, the door opens ever so slightly and Joe appears on the other side.
"Hi." I smile awkwardly, coming inside as Joe opens the door wider for me.
"Hey." He says, closing the door and following me to the sofa where we sit and look at each other for a moment. His eyes are still grey and sad, all vibrancy lost. "I miss you." Just those three words give me all hope, optimism and happiness I've had missing for ages.
"I miss you too," I reply, a beamy smile attacking its way on to my face. Joe then leans in, his actions happening quicker than a millisecond and the result being his lips landing onto mine. It feels so right yet so wrong at the same time but for some reason, I can't seem to translate why it's wrong. I love him. Everything about it should be perfect, spectacular even. But I stop it, pulling away, tugging at my sleeves in the hope of comfort from this awkward situation. "Sorry."
"No, don't be. I shouldn't have been so forward." He says, his eye contact now vanished.
"I can't do this." The words don't seem to be me, it's like I'm being possessed. I just stand up and leave, closing the door behind me and walking out of the building. But it's like the weird feeling that overcame me disappears when I reach fresher air and I suddenly question what I'm doing. Why am I leaving? All confidence built up, all motivation flowing through me, I stride back inside and swing the door open. Joe runs over to me, looking worried but I just erase the expression off his face by kissing him passionately and keeping it that way for as long as possible. I slam the door shut with my foot, making sure to keep my lips on his, wanting this connection to last forever. This time, I will do everything in my power to not let him slip away. Not again.

Second update! Sorry it's short but I think it was worth it ;) I hope you enjoyed!