The Quest For Answers

Thor stands in the empty hall, bearing the signs of the festivities cancelled due to the events of the day. Anger and frustration rising within him, Thor upends one of the massive tables.

"This was to be my day of triumph"

"If it's any consolation, I think you're right..."

"We're going to Jotunheim"

"Yes, of course! I won't let my brother march into Jotunheim alone. I will be at his side."

"I Odin Allfather, cast you out!"

Thor is hurled backwards into the open Bifrost and disappears in the vortex.

Flashes of conversation and images of the obsevatory run through her mind as she sits listening to the queen read passages from a book of poetry. The queen closes the book and sets it aside.

"Saga? Is everything alright dear?"

Saga blinks quickly and turns to the queen. "I'm sorry, my mind must have wandered."

Frigga smiles and reaches out to tuck a strand of ebony hair behind her ear. "And where did you find yourself?"

"Where I always am, in the presence of friends." She stands to her feet "If I may, my queen..."

Frigga nods, "Go my dear, see to my sons."

Saga bows her head to the queen before turning and walking out the door. Once the doors close behind her she quickens her pace and makes her way to the celebration hall. The doors open and she steps inside, quickly surveying the room. Servants were busy clearing away the remnants of a feast and righting a banquet table that Thor had upturned in his anger. A young woman with an armful of dishes approaches the door and quickly averts her eyes. Saga put out a hand to stop her. "Did Prince Thor do this?"

The young woman nods and looks down at the floor.

"Was Loki with him?"

She nods again and hurries off before Saga can stop her. A young man approaches her and bows his head.

"Good day to you Lady Saga."

"And to you. Do you know where they've gone?" she asks gesturing toward the mess.

The young man shakes his head. "I'm afraid I don't."

Saga nods "Thank you." She walks out onto the balcony and looks out over the palace grounds. She watches as a small group on horseback ride off toward the rainbow bridge. Quickly turning and making her way down into the outer courtyard, ignoring the whispers of the nobles she passes in the halls.

A handful of guards stand at the edge of the courtyard, when they spot her coming toward them they fall into line. She slowly looks over each guard, stopping when she reaches the last young man. She turns and faces him. Her golden staff appears in her hand "The princes were here, as well as Lady Sif and the Warriors Three. Where did they go?"

The young man seems visibly shaken "Lady Saga, They have gone riding."

"Where?" Her patience wearing thin, her tone becoming colder by the minute. Her eyes meet his and his breath catches.

"My Lady...they have gone..." His eyes widen as the gem in her staff begins to glow. "Jotunheim." The gem ceases glowing as she steps away from the young man. She stares off down the path to the bridge.

"Go to the king at once. I hope for your sake we aren't to late."

The guard nods and rushes off into the palace. Saga walks to the bridge and stands beside the column, looking out over the bridge toward the Bifrost. She closes her eyes and focuses on Loki, trying to reach out to him.

A feeling of confusion washes of her, an image of a gloveless blue hand, and sudden dread. She opens her eyes when a rider approaches; she bows her head as the king rides past. She waits for what seems like an eternity for the return of her friends. Finally in the distance she sees figures walking along the bridge toward her. She meets them part way.

Volstagg and Hogun holding an injured Fandral between them. Sif walking along behind.

Saga rushes up to Fandral and places a hand over his wound, muttering something under her breath. "To ease the pain" She lightly kisses his forehead before stepping aside.

He smiles at her and nods. "Thank you Vör."

She smiles as they continue on. They leave her standing alone once more on the bridge. Another figure appears in the distance. She curtsies as the king storms past her. She straightens up and catches sight of Loki. She reaches out for his gloveless hand, her fingertips just brushing his hand. He recoils and continues walking. She looks back over the bridge and sighs. There is nothing to be done for Thor now, he's on his own.

((Questions or comments? Feel free to ask. I love hearing back from my readers!))