The Transfer Of Power and The Fall From Grace

Through the hallways, across to the other side of the grand palace, in the royal chambers of Odin. Frigga sits at her husband's bedside, holding his hand. Odin lies there looking pale and lifeless, his body and the space around it warped from the effect of the Odinsleep. The walls of the chamber have moved close around him, protecting him like a dark crypt, sealing off any daylight. Loki sits at Odin's side, across from Frigga. She speaks softly to him.

"I asked him to be honest with you from the beginning. There should be no secrets in a family."

Loki shakes his head, "So why did he lie?"

"He kept the truth from you so that you would never feel different. You are in every way our son, Loki, and we your family. You must know that."

Loki takes this in as he stares at Odin.

"You can speak to him. He can see and hear us, even now."

Loki looks up at her, "How long will it last?"

Frigga looks from her son to her husband. "I don't know. This time is different. We were unprepared."

Loki looks sadly back at Odin, "I never get used to seeing him like this."

"But he's put it off for so long now, I fear..." Loki takes her hand. She smiles at him and wipes tears from her eyes. "You're a good son."

Loki sits there impassively.

"We mustn't lose hope that your father will return to us. And your brother."

Loki looks to Frigga, concerned. "What hope is there for Thor?"

"There's always a purpose to everything your father does. Thor may yet find a way home."

The doors open suddenly and Saga steps inside. She curtsies "My queen, pardon my intrusion..." She looks up and catches sight of Loki. He appears troubled by something.

"I apologize I did not realize the prince..."

"Deliver your message." He says as he stands, "I was just on my way out." he heads for the door. Beyond the gilded doors they hear the clatter of armoured footsteps hurriedly approaching.

Saga steps down beside Loki as the Einherjar guard enter the room, blocking the way out. Loki tenses, but the guards just stand before them. Loki stares at them in confusion. He turns to his mother,

"Thor is banished. The line of succession falls to you. Until he awakens, Asgard is yours."

The Einherjar kneel before the shocked Loki. Another Einherjar enters, holding Gungnir before him. He kneels before Loki, offers the spear to him. Saga gasps quietly and takes a step back.

Frigga smiles at her son, "Make your father proud."

Loki reaches out tentatively, and then takes it, a smile spreading across his face. Saga curtsies to him as he turns to look at his mother. She straightens up and watches him walk out the door. The guard follows closely behind him and the doors close with a light thud. Saga stares unmoving at the gilded doors. A hand on her shoulder reminds her she is not alone. She turns and bows her head. "My queen, forgive me, I..."

Frigga smiles and lifts Saga's chin. "What did you come to tell me my dear?" She asks softly.

Saga avoids looking the queen in the eye. "There is much on my mind. I wish to return to the hall at Sokkvabekk, if it please you my queen."

Frigga smiles. "Are you sure that's what you want? With Thor banished and my love in his slumber, Loki has none to give him counsel. Perhaps you could fill that role my dear."