•fourty one•

unedited nor proofread
THIRTEEN MONTHS LATER

I was sitting down on my vanity, staring at my reflection in the mirror, I still couldn't recognize myself; I had dyed my hair platinum blonde this morning, switching from the bright red. meanwhile original brown haired me seized to exist along with the old me and her memories.

I heard a faint knock on my door, "come in" I called out, the door creaked open and mom's head popped from behind "Adeline honey, dinner is ready" she said softly "okay i'll be down in a minute" she nodded her head and closed the door.

Oh yeah, not only did I change my hair's color and length, but I changed my name, my style, I wear contact lenses now, I've completely killed my old self, I didn't want to remember her. My old self couldn't imagine her life without Noah, she struggled with depression for months, dropped down twenty pounds, and all for what? An illusional heartbreak based on a dream that felt so real. Old me was left stranded on the island for weeks before my mother found me, she was the last person I'd wanted to see at that time, my heart was full of hatred towards her, but again, all based on a version of her I saw in my dream.

She never made a deal with Noah and sold me to him, we basically never met, besides our small encounter on the yacht before it was wrecked. After I was back in my old home, I couldn't function normally, I didn't sleep for days as I stayed up searching for Noah online, any news about him, any updates, any way to contact him, I literally went insane. I failed to reached him, and the only news I could find at the time were related to the yacht incident, his father had passed away, and he took over all his companies and wealth, other than that, I didn't know anything.

For months I couldn't adjust to my new life, which was my old life, except my mother was a thousand times better, more loving, and well motherly, I guess losing me and thinking I was dead clicked something deep within her that made her change drastically.
Today, I own sixty percent of the shares in mom's company, I've made a few new friends who I'm grateful for, but I remained single, something deep within was still not ready for love, I don't why but I tried dating a few times it just never worked out, none of the men felt real or like we had a connection, or maybe none of them were him... him? who is him exactly, I laughed at myself. It doesn't matter anymore, I'm completely satisfied being independent and free, a year changes you a lot.

I shook my head in attempt to shake my thoughts away, I stood up and headed downstairs to the dining room, the smell of my mom's famous chicken lasagna filled my nostrils, "mmmm smells delicious" I commented causing a proud grin to spread across mom's face "only the best for my baby", I smiled back and took a seat opposite to hers, at the head of the table Gerald, mom's husband was seated, Gerald was like a father I never had, he was amazing, I loved him as if he were my biological father, he treated mom like royalty, and he played a huge role in aiding me back to normal, in fact he was my psychiatrist, thats how he and mom met and well they fell in love.
"Adeline, looking as beautiful as your mother, how are you feeling darling?" Gerald asked offering me a warm smile "Why thank you, I feel good honestly, how are you doing?"

"Im happy to hear that, as long as I have you and your mother by my side, Im well" my mother instantly let out a loud awhhh, she inched closer to him giving him a quick peck, I just smiled in return
"enough talking, the lasagna's getting cold, hand me your plate didi" mom stuck her hand out, I gave her my plate and she placed a huge slice of lasagna on it, I licked my lips ready to devour it all.

~*~*~*~

"Miss Adeline! Welcome back we've missed you!"
"Welcome back boss!!"
"This company felt so empty without you!!"
"Loving your new hairstyle!"
employees all around me kept calling as I walked towards my office, I took a one month break from work and now that I'm finally back, their warming welcome made me feel so good about myself, I was basically their friend, not your typical boss, and I loved every single employee here. I smiled at each one of them, mouthing a thank you in return. Being away from the office for a month also meant I had a heap of paperwork to go through, thank god I was updated daily via emails.