01 ▷ the queen

| MARCH OF 2017 |

| MARCH OF 2017 |

Esther Ruth

After shrugging on my jacket, I made my way towards the kitchen. My husband, Cameron, sat at the table like usual scrolling through his phone and drinking coffee.

Since Cameron and I hadn't had kids yet, our mornings were normally quiet. I'd get ready for work, he'd read and have breakfast, then I left. The same routine everyday.

"Morning," I smiled, looking towards Cameron. He quickly glanced up at me, smiling softly.

"Good morning, babe." He returned, "What time do you plan on being home?"

I grabbed my keys off the counter, then faced him. I shrugged, "I don't know. Probably around normal time. Why?"

"Oh. Just wondering." Cameron mumbled. I sighed, raising an eyebrow, but decided not to press the issue.

I turned around once again, reaching for the bag of bagels, and quickly grabbing a raisin one. Picking up the keys again, I turned around and faced Cameron. I smiled slightly, approaching him at the table.

"Anyway," I sighed, bending down and pressing a kiss to his lips. "I'll see you tonight. I love you."

As I stood up, he looked to me. "I love you too."

Adriana grinned, holding up a letter that was at my desk as I entered the precinct

Adriana grinned, holding up a letter that was at my desk as I entered the precinct. I smiled, rolling my eyes and scoffing.

Adriana Layvo was easily my best friend, but she was also my partner out in the field. She was fun to be around, and she also reminded me of my sister-in-law, Moriah, Joel's wife. Both of them pretty feisty, but also sweethearts.

"Esther Harper," Adriana started, my name rolling off her tongue with her Mexican accent. "What is this, amiga?"

I laughed, plucking the envelope from her hands. "A letter from my doctor, that is none of your business." I giggled, "You're a little sheila."