08 ▷ new beginnings

Esther Ruth ▷

Esther Ruth

At eleven weeks, and after a week, I found myself walking into the Franklin Police Precinct, marching myself to the superior's office. Along with my medical leave papers, I had my letter of resignation and reasoning.

With my head held high and my heels clicking against the floor, a warm coffee in my hand, I made my way over to my desk. Sadly, I was only going to be seeing this desk for another two weeks. While that broke my heart, it made me rest easy knowing that my babies wouldn't have to worry about their mum.

"Oh my goodness! Esther!" The familiar mexican accent rung in my ears. Swallowing down the slight anxiety, I looked to Adriana and softly smiled. She grinned, "You're back!"

I nodded, "Yeah. For two weeks."

Adrianna raised an eyebrow as she sat down at her own desk. "What? Are you resigning?"

"Yeah, for my twins. Since Cameron left, and I have no one to watch them, it's safer." I explained.

"Oh, my god," she breathed, "He wasn't kidding."

I swallowed at the words that just came from Adrianna's tongue. Was that a slip, or did she know something?

"Did you know that he was leaving me?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

All the colour drained from Adrianna's face as she swallowed. She stuttered a weak response that I didn't catch. When I continued to stare at her, she nodded.

"Y-Yeah." She answered, "I saw the letter when I went to go check. I-I just didn't want to worry you. I'm sorry, Esther."

A mixture of anger and sadness flowed through my veins. She was my best friend, and I thought best friends were supposed to tell you everything. Or was I wrong on that?

"I can't believe you," I murmured, turning in my chair to finally start the paperwork that was meant for my leave.

Adrianna kept trying to apologize, but I simply ignored her. I was hurt. She really hurt me, and not only me, but my children and marriage. How could I forgive so easily?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I sat in the stillness of Joel's and Moriah's home, still working on my leftover paperwork. My supervisor didn't want me in the field, knowing that I was pregnant.

Flipping the white page, I began filling in the other. It seemed like the white pages and manilla folders never ended; like they went on for eternity. That is karma for not doing it on leave, but my mind was full and overwhelmed; surely I would have done it wrong.

"Esther."

I looked up, hearing the sweet voice of my sister-in-law. I smiled sadly at her, "Yes?"

"Are you hungry?" Moriah asked, resting her hands on their kitchen table. "Joel decided he wanted pizza, so went to go pick some up."

I shrugged slightly, "Sure, but Joel eating pizza?" I laughed, "He normally doesn't eat pizza, he always wants tacos."

Moriah couldn't help, but giggle as I said taco with my accent. She lived with my brother, for heavens sake, she married him and that still entertained her! At least she still joy and humor in the smallest of things. I couldn't for the past three weeks.

"Yeah," she nodded, "Joel wanted pizza. Anyway, how was your first day back to work?"

Involuntary, a sigh fell from my lips and I shrunk back in the dining chair. I looked up slightly to Moriah.

"Awful," I responded, "I found out that Adrianna knew that Cameron was leaving. She didn't tell me."

Moriah gave a slight pout as she pushed herself up from the table, coming around. She placed her dainty hand on my shoulder as she sat down.

"I am sorry, Esther." Moriah whispered, "You don't deserve this."

I looked down, tears welling in my eyes at the thought of him. It was pathetic that I was still hurt over him, he wasn't worth the tears.

"Maybe I do."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Shoving my hands into my hoodie pockets, I looked up at the dark street. The darkness delivered a cold wind that made my body shiver.

It was only April, yet the night air still made the temperature drop significantly. The cold and still atmosphere made me feel somewhat at peace. It was only the street lights, the stars and I, and it made me feel happy for once in my crazy life.

That's how it seemed. Ever since the moment I was born, my life was never still. My life seemed to be moving in the fast lane, always ready to throw me a loop. Maybe that's why my mum always said that I was adventurous and quick on my feet. My father always said that's why I was a great police officer. My siblings said that life could never knock me down, no matter how hard it tried.

But my twin always said it was because God wanted me to be different than the rest of my siblings. Luke was right. He also said that the day God would bless me with children, they'd be just like me— maybe he was right about that too.

The very thought of it made me pause in the middle of the sidewalk right under an orange light. A smile ghosted my lips as I looked down to my belly— where my very own twins rested.

"Irreplaceable, unmistakable, incomparable. Darling it's beautiful, I see it all in you. Oh so priceless." I whispered, tears brimming my eyes. I glanced up, seeing the stars shine and twinkle softly. "Thank you, God."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Ah ha! I'm back, my lovelies. Once more, thank you for the patience because I know I suck at updating.

Anyway. Vote, comment, all that jazz. I do hope to update this again soon, because let's face it. I miss writing about my favorite aussies.

Until the next time. 💞