00 ▷ prelude

| JANUARY OF 1992 |

Little Esther Ruth sat in front of the large window in the empty living room. Her whole family was there; her mother was taking care of the new baby and her father was playing music for the other kids. Esther Ruth just wasn't interested in music like her siblings.

Instead, a soft sigh fell from the five-years-old's lips as she looked out the window. She gasped and jumped up, pressing her face and hands again the window- seeing snowflakes fall to the ground. Esther could remember her mum telling her about the snow when they moved to the states.

"It's snowing!" Esther exclaimed, a smile coming to her lips.

Her father chuckled, "That it is, my darling."

Esther spun around quickly, grinning at her family. "I wanna play in it!"

Her mum started, "Baby-"

"That's a good idea, darling." Her father nodded, smiling at the young girl. Then he smiled over at his eldest child, Rebecca. "Why don't you take her outside, Bec? It'll be fun for you kids."

Rebecca nodded, and within minutes she and her father had all the young ones in coats that were donated. Esther Ruth flapped her arms, playing in the coat that was much too large for her. Each of the kids giggled, playing in their coats or waiting by the front door.

"Be careful!" Their mum called as Rebecca opened the door and the kids sprinted out into the cold.

Rebecca looked back to her mum and smiled, "We will."

Then Rebecca was out the door and closing it, keeping her and the kids out in the winter wonderland. Rebecca smiled, feeling the cold air for the first time since being in America. She exhaled, seeing her warm breath in the air.

"Wow." Rebecca laughed.

Luke screeched, being hit in the face with a cold snowball thrown by his twin, Esther. Each of the kids looked over at the twins, giggling away at Luke's red face. Esther squealed, running away from her brother as he picked up a fistful of snow and chasing her.

That night in January of 1992 was the first night that Esther Ruth had experienced the cold winter of America.

| MAY OF 2011 |
| TWENTY YEARS LATER |

Esther Ruth stepped off the small stage, her diploma in her hand. She couldn't be happier, seeing as she worked hard for the past four years and it was paying off. Her family couldn't be prouder. However, her twin and fiancé were unbelievably proud of Esther.