02 ▷ and she's down

Esther Ruth ▹

Esther Ruth

Adriana and I immediately took cover behind the parked patrol car. What started out as a shoot off between an officer and a suspect had turned into a shoot off with a suspect and multiple police officers along with SWAT. That had escalated so quickly.

Adriana glanced at me, her eyebrows furrowed. "Harper, stay in cover, you have to keep that baby safe." She demanded.

I scoffed, grabbing my firearm from its holster. "Layvo, I'll be fine. Trust me, yeah?"

"Fine." She grumbled.

Sighing, and while crouching behind the car, I tiptoed to the trunk and tried to get a look of the suspect. Faintly, I could see the dark hair peeking up from behind a slide. While I had my chance, I tried my luck at disarming him with my own weapon.

I moved slightly, coming out from behind the car to get a better angle. Just as I had a shot, the suspect noticed me. His eyes widened and terror filled his eyes; he closed his eyes and aimed at me, squeezing the trigger on his gun.

I did the same thing, but both actions had different outcomes.

He and I both cried out as we were hit. He was the lucky one though.

Adriana looked over at me, worry spreading across her face.

"Officer down! Officer down!" Adriana yelled out, dropping her gun and crawling over to me. I whimpered as she had put pressure on my rib cage. "Hey, hey. You're gonna be okay, Harp. I'm not letting anything happen to you." She whispered.

"T–Tell Cameron i-it's my fault," I whimpered, "A-And tell L-Luke."

I groaned, moving slightly and barely opening my eyes

I groaned, moving slightly and barely opening my eyes. I sighed, noticing the all white room.

I was in the hospital; great.

"Welcome back, amiga." Adriana laughed. I rolled my eyes, rolling my head to look at her.

"Is the baby okay?" I whispered, terrified to know the answer. Adriana bit her lip and sighed, my eyes beginning to fill with tears.

"They don't exactly know, Esther." She explained, "They haven't had the chance to operate to know. They're waiting on their top surgeon now before they start."

I sighed, adverting my attention to the white ceiling. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I lost my baby to my job. Especially when I just found out that I'm going to be a mum.

"Does Cameron know?" I asked, raising an eyebrow as I looked back to Adriana.

She swallowed and shook her head, "I tried calling him, but he never answered."

I rolled my eyes and scoffed. "What about my family?"

Adriana then nodded, smiling slightly. "I called your mom, then I called Luke. They know. Luke said that him and Joel will be over as soon as they land tomorrow."

"Yeah." I muttered, "They're in Washington, I think."

She smiled slightly, "You'll be okay, Esther Ruth. I know it, and I'm sure that baby of yours is okay too."

I nodded, gently laying my hand on my throbbing gunshot wound. This, however, was one of the cons of being on the police force. I was lucky in my seven years; this was only the third time I've shot ever.

"Oh man." I groaned, "This is the worse yet."

Adriana laughed, "Wait til you give birth. That hurts, but it's worth it in the end."

I raised an eyebrow. "How do you know?"

She sighed, "When I was eighteen, I had a one night stand, and I do regret it. I got pregnant, and instead of shaming my family, I moved here. Gave birth to a son, and gave him up for adoption. He has a family who loves him, and he deserves that." She explained.

"Did you name him?" I asked.

She nodded, smiling slightly. "Damian Joseph."

I grinned, "That is adorable."

Adriana and I both looked up at the door as a knock sounded. A couple nurses stood there, and someone who looked to be a doctor or a surgeon. He swallowed, and looked down to his clipboard.

"Ah. Mrs. Harper, nice to see you. Sorry I'm coming in so late, my daughter wanted to see me before her prom." He looked back, a sympathetic smile on his face. "I am aware that they called me, finding that you are pregnant. These nurses are going to apply anesthesia, and we'll get going."

Okay, so short chapter, but a lot happened

Okay, so short chapter, but a lot happened. Esther was shot, we know a little into Adriana's past, and more will be revealed about her as well as Cameron and Esther. Also, the baby; predictions about the baby?

I'm pretty excited for this turn out, and for the story in general.

Anyway, vote and comment, because those are appreciated. Thanks!

— Nicole 💕