04 ▷ every dream

Esther Ruth ▷

Esther Ruth

Two days later I was finally heading home after being in the hospital for nearly four with my two brothers and occasional visitors. However, still no Cameron; and that made me wonder if I did anything wrong. Like if I made him mad in some way.

I took a deep breath, gently clutching my wound as I stepped out of Courtney's car. I quickly smiled at her and Luke.

"Thanks a lot, guys." I grinned, "It means a lot."

Luke nodded, "Of course, Esther Ruth. Let us know about Cameron."

"Yeah." I muttered.

Jude grinned and waved at me. "Bye aunt Est! I love you!"

"I love you too, buddy. Behave for your mum and dad, eh?" I laughed. He giggled and nodded.

I shut the door, then turned around. However, I was still clutching my gunshot wound, and because of it, I was on medical for nearly two weeks. I knew Cameron would be happy about that.

Taking a deep breath, I started down the small concrete path to our doorway. I grinned, pushing the front door open, but I frowned quickly.

The house was dark and empty. The only light that came in was from the from the windows. It was so quiet.

I swallowed, pushing the front door shut and flicking on the overhead light. It worried me; everything was just like it the day I left for work. Only my husband wasn't here.

Slowly, I took a step forward. In my mind, I knew that Cameron wasn't here, but I wanted him to be. I turned corner, entering our kitchen.

Once again; empty. Only, there was a stack of papers on the counter.

Cautiously, I went forward, glancing at the papers. Noting that the one on top was a letter, I picked it up. I nearly whimpered, reading the note.

Dear Esther,

I know you'll probably wonder this is and why you have it. Just read it.

I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry. Adriana told me that you were shot and I knew that I needed to do this. I felt trapped in our marriage. I just don't love you anymore, Esther. I haven't for almost two years.

I thought that a baby would help that, but when you weren't becoming pregnant, that all left. Adriana told me that our prayers have finally been answered. However, I don't want anything to do with the child. I don't want any fighting. I'm leaving everything to you and you can have custody of the child; full custody.

I'm sorry, Esther. I don't love you.
Goodbye, from Cameron.

I quickly wiped the tears that fell down my cheeks. I looked past the letter, seeing the divorce papers already.