VII

[(</- falling in love is continually sticking your hand in a fire hoping this time it doesn't burn you -\>)]

My eyes, heavy after such a deep sleep, dragged themselves open as a harsh light broke through my eyelids. It was a torch that had woken me, I knew that, but the piercing beacon made all the people around me mere silhouettes in the otherwise dark room. I blinked, trying to get my eyes to adjust to the brightness, but my sight kept blurring if I strained in an effort to see them.

"Don't move."

Those words, strict and commanding, were uttered in such a way that I found myself shivering. It occurred to me that whoever was talking wasn't Jungkook, and I scrabbled slightly, trying to find him in the dark. The place he had been sleeping was cold, meaning he had long since left.

A rush of fear spread through me as the realisation hit me. I was alone and someone was here. They clearly meant to harm me.

"I said don't move. This is your last chance before I blow your fucking brains out."

I froze, putting my hands above my head in surrender. As I did so, another voice spoke out to me.

"Don't be scared. As long as you do what this bastard says you'll be fine."

This voice I recognised. And hearing it gave me a slither of hope.

At the same time, it trampled my thoughts of saviour.

The voice was slightly choked, as though something was covering the speaker's mouth.

The speaker was Jungkook.

"That's right. Just do what I say and you'll be fine. You won't be free, though. You're stuck here anyway. Remember, to everyone else, you're dead."

I nodded quickly, not wanting the situation to get any worse. If Jungkook, the one who had brought pain and remorse to so many, was being held back, whoever this guy was, he was dangerous.

My fear of death was still lacking, but I knew this man wouldn't hesitate to make that death a long and painful experience.

"Tie her up. He seems to like this one, so we'll use her to get my buddy Jungkook to cooperate."

"Yes, sir. Right away."

Shuffling footsteps made their way towards me, and the light that had been blinding me was removed from my face. I was left dazed, the imprint of the torch still blazing in my eyes, when a face drew close to mine.

His skin was clear and smooth apart from a mole on his nose, and his hair, chocolate brown and just long enough to be considered shaggy, brushed against my cheek as he brought a piece of rope to my wrists.

When our eyes met, even if it was just for a second, he seemed to show a brief moment of pity. I merely stared at him, my eyes wide and scared.

The thick rope moved against my skin, the friction making it burn my flesh. I flinched, looking around to see who my captor was, and to take my mind off of the mild pain caused by my restraints.

Sat on his knees in the corner, a black piece of material in his mouth, was Jungkook. He was staring at me, and when I looked at him he didn't lower his piercing gaze.

Still looking at me, he spoke, his speech slurred as he tried to talk with something in his mouth.

"Take this out of my mouth."  

"Should I, sir?"

"Go on. Let the man speak. He should at least have his right of speech before he dies."

The man who was clearly in charge had his face hidden, a mask covering his entire head. The other man walked towards Jungkook, who was still looking at me, giving him the ability to speak.

"What do you want to say, Kooks?"

"Let her go."

"And why would I do that? She's a threat if she's with you."

"But she's not a threat to anyone! Like you said, she's meant to be dead! How can she be a threat if no-one knows that she's even alive?! Even then, she's innocent. A bit sadistic, maybe, given that she pretty much wanted to die, but she wouldn't tell anyone if you let her go. I know that she wouldn't."

"How can you be so sure? And why should I even believe you?"

"She has a life out there. She can go back, say she escaped from me, and continue how she was living before I screwed everything up for her. The only reason she's here is because I didn't want to get caught, and used her as bait so the police wouldn't attack. I was selfish, and took her, thinking I would just kill her later on, but... I can't. She's the first person that has willfully given herself for me, and to just let her die would be too cruel, even for me."

"How sweet. But it's bullshit. Murderer Jeon Jungkook, known for not having mercy, is showing remorse? Really?"

"Yes. Really."

"Well... You know what? I'll leave you two alone for a bit. If you're gonna die young, might as well have some fun first. Untie them."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you OK? He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"I'm fine Jungkook. I've got some friction burns from the rope, but other than that I'm great."

"Good to hear."

Jungkook, having checked I was OK, seemed happy. He wasn't jumping for joy, but his normally scowling face was almost... smiling? Having checked my wrists, he returned to his cold state, but I was more comfortable being with him. He had stood up for me then and seemed to care about my wellbeing, so I cared about his. 

I mean. it's only polite to return the gesture.