XVII

({- My family has stopped caring. If I do something stupid they just ignore me. I understand, though. It must be hard to contact someone when you're buried underground -})

"Don't move. I'll shoot!"

"Jungkook! It's me!"

I took a step forward, my arms outstretched to show I meant no harm. I had no weapons.

"I said don't move!"

"Jungkook. Please! Calm down!"

His hands were shaking as he gripped the gun, a grimace on his face.

"I'm warning you!"

I ignored him, trusting that he wouldn't hurt me.

I was sure he wasn't going to shoot. Not after what had happened to us.

Turns out I was wrong.

I didn't register the gunshot until the pain set in, a flame in my chest.

"Ah..."

A look of instant regret spread across Jungkook's face, the gun dropping from his hands.

I didn't hear it land; I was already on my knees, my hands clutching at my chest.

"Y/N! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"

He ran to me, catching my limp body in his embrace.

"Jungkook..."

It was the first time I'd seen him cry.

"Y/N... Open your eyes..."

Hearing him say that made me want to fight against the urge to just give in. My eyes fluttered open, and he was there.

Not crying.

I wasn't in pain.

I looked down at myself to see no blood. There was no gun lying on the floor.

"Y/N? You OK? You were calling out in your sleep."

"Was I?"

"Did you have a bag dream?"

"I... I don't know..."

"Forgot what the dream was? Happens to all of us."

I smiled at him, a bad feeling lingering from the dream. I was unable to recall the events, but I knew both Jungkook and I were in it.

While I lay there, trying to remember the dream, I could feel Jungkook watching me. It was a gaze intense enough to make me uncomfortable, but I continued staring into space.

"When you were asleep."

Jungkook started talking so I looked at him, only to be greeted by those mysterious eyes.

"At one point you kept clutching at your chest. It was like you'd been shot. At the same time, you kept saying my name; that I shouldn't be sorry."

I stared at him, already guessing what if dreamt of.

Jungkook shooting me.

"I... I-"

"You know I'd never hurt you, right? You're probably the only person I'd feel this comfortable with, so I'm not gonna do anything that would take away your trust. That would be stupid."

"I know. I can't help having bad dreams..."

He smiled weakly at me, signifying thaw he understood what I was saying.

In an attempt to cheer me up he placed a hand on my waist, pulling me closer to him. I didn't object to his action, merely shifting my weight so the both of us would be more comfortable. It was cold. His warmth was nice; a way to chase away my demons.

"Jungkook... You've changed so much recently. You opened up to me; showing me this whole new perspective of who you are. Thank you for trusting me."

"No problem."

He winked at me, a smirk on his lips. I giggled lightly, a smile forming on my own lips.

"I didn't know how much I depended on you until you got hurt. The thought of losing you, even if it was unlikely, ripped me in two. For you to love me you need to trust me, and for you to trust me you need to know who I really am. And I'm scared."

He smile disappeared instantly, a look of remorse on his face in place of it.

"I'm scared of what I've done. I'm scared of being caught. I'm scared of my enemies. But, must of all, I'm scared of losing you. There are so many ways to lose someone in this world, and who I am doesn't help. You'll be killed if I'm not careful."

"I trust that you'll protect me. Even if you can't, I know you'll at least try. In a situation like that, though, if it meant you'd get hurt to protect me... I'd step in. I'm not letting you kill yourself for me."

"Heh... I'd happily do so."

He placed a kiss on my forehead, his eyes on me at all times, and I just stared back. His eyes were comforting. They helped me sleep.