XIV

:-> don't act like you didn't see my scars. i made sure they were noticeable, just for you <-:

I was woken by a searing pain in my leg, my hands flying to the bandaged area. I was in too much pain to see whether it was night or day, but looking at Jungkook's reaction it was more likely to have been the night. He sat up, dazed, and immediately pulled out a blade. He had good reflexes.

I clutched at my leg, the pain hurting to the extent that I wanted to tear the skin off to remove the problem. My knuckles were white as I grabbed at my flesh, red marks lining any visible skin. Jungkook was at my side promptly, ripping what was left of the makeshift bandage off and throwing it away.

"Oh God..."

The wound was a strange purple, red lines moving down my leg. I recognised it quickly, but my brain was too focused on the agony consuming every nerve in my body. Jungkook was distraught, clearly knowing more than I did, and he quickly ripped off part of his own clothes to tie a tourniquet around the top of my leg. 

It still hurt, but the general shock of waking up to immediate hurt had subsided. I was able to gather my bearings, looking at Jungkook.

The way he'd torn his clothes had exposed a small amount of his chest, and I did my best not to stare. The innocent yet sadistic childhood I had lived had led to me never seeing a man's chest other than my granddad walking around topless on summer days. This was a new sight for me. 

"You OK?"

"Yeah... What happened, though?"

"Uh... You got an infection..."

Due to the suddenness of such a rushed and temporary fix, he was out of breath. The stress must have made him freak out, and he was wide awake too. His deep breaths caused his chest to rise and fall greatly, and once more my eyes were drawn to his muscles.

"You like?"

I looked at his face when he spoke, meeting his eyes as he smirked. I then realised what he'd said.

"Huh? I mean-"

"It's fine if you like my abs. They are perfectly sculpted."

I laughed, forgetting what had just happened and smiling at his silliness. It was rare for him to have a sense of humour, so I treasured the moments he did.

"Honestly, I had an innocent life before any of this. So you could be lying for all I know. I've never seen abs other than granddad flab."

He snickered, and I glanced at him. For the first time, I saw a smile. It wasn't sadistic or fake... A genuine smile.

"You having an 'innocent life' is hard to believe."

"It's true."

"Then what's with the whole 'I'm not afraid of dying thing'? That's kinda not innocent in my point of view."

"I was mature, polite and sweet... But I was able to realise how short life is quicker than normal people because of how intuitive I was as a kid, meaning I started getting really depressed. I ditched the act of purity when my mum died, just before you took me away into the night."

He laughed once more at my wording, our eyes meeting in a brief moment of shared happiness. His smile was adorable, lighting his face up. You wouldn't think he was the same person that was on the news daily, being chased for murder.

"If we're gonna go into backstories, might as well say this."

He started, his smile fading slightly.

"When I 'took you away into the night', as you say, I toned down... I don't know why, but the thought of killing someone in front of you seemed cruel. That first time I saw you... I attacked you out of nowhere, yet you still called to me for help... That triggered something in me. The last person that called out to me was my mum when I... I killed her."

His smile was gone completely now, a look of deep regret in his eyes. I reached out to touch his shoulder, but his hand came up and took mine in his the moment I came into contact with him. Despite being taken aback, I went with it, squeezing his hand comfortingly.

"That was my greatest mistake."

"We all make mistakes. Don't dwell on them; concentrate on who you are now... Or it'll consume you. Don't want to loose my Kookie!"

I tried lightening the mood by poking his cheek gently, smiling weakly at him. He looked up at my words, a slight smile on his face.

"Y/N..."

He stared at me for a second, time stopping as his smile disappeared. He wasn't sad this time, though. It was a different emotion that covered his face within seconds, and it made me shuffle.

"Thank you."

With those words, he leant forward. In one swift movement, he had his lips on mine, a passionate kiss igniting a fuse in my stomach.

When that bomb went off, everything would explode. It would be gone, a distant memory.

The countdown to disaster had begun.